1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Magic The Gathering Online

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PegasusM, 26 May 2010.

1. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

I just started playing online, I used to play the card game a few years ago but never very much. Anyway I'm looking for some people to play against/trade with.
    My username is PegasusM, feel free to add me.:thumb:

For anyone who doesn't know and is interested, its an online trading card game.

2. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I hope you have plenty of disposable income :lol:

3. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

Luckily I haven't become addicted, well I've only spent about £15 on it so far, and I'm not planning on spending much more any time soon. Not bad for a game as some cost £30+.

4. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Yeah it's good value if you can play it like that. Unfortunately I got totally carried away and ended up spending a fortune on it! I still play it sometimes, although I play the Extended format because all my decks rotated out of Standard a few months ago.

5. Akuman

Akuman Waffles

Was looking to buy this earlier but wasn't too sure

I'm a fairly novice player, with limited experience when playing the card game.

How different is it to the actual card game?

Since its been out for sometime, is everyone who is playing it just amazing hence hard to get into for an amateur?

6. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I gave up on this game not long after it came out, lost username and password too.
    The pace of the game is too slow, and its not like playing with people in real life.

There's an off line story driven game coming out on the PC soon.

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

There was a free magic the gathering client for playing friends online. 'Apprentice' I think it was called.

8. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

It's quite different.

People aren't too interested in having fun 'casual' games, even in the casual room. They are out to win and will do anything to make sure that they do. And with all the powerful cards these days, you can win very fast if you want. So if you play Extended like me, there are a lot of people who just steam roll you to death in the first 4 turns. It hardly seems worth playing sometimes. The Standard format is a bit better and usually lasts longer, but it can be expensive because they rotate the cards out, and add new sets so often now, that you have to sell or trade off your old decks (at a loss) and buy new ones, or you end up forced in to the Extended format like me.

Also, because it's so competitive, people have just started copying "net decks", usually tournament winning decks. They sometimes use cheaper land than the expensive tournament decks, but they copy pretty much everything else. And they are so powerful and incredibly well thought out, that the average home brewed deck stands no chance. So about 90% of the time it's just someone's copied net deck Vs someone elses's copied net deck.

Besides all that though, it's still an amazing game in many ways. The amount of freedom when making your decks is just incredible, especially if you play Extended or Classic where there is not much restriction. It's also very convenient and fast compared to paper. You can just log in, click a game, and be playing in less than a minute. And these days, players play extremely fast. It also keeps track of everything for you, life totals and tokens and stuff, it's all calculated instantly so it's really easy to play and just focus on playing. Also there is a buddies list so you can just find people who have a similar style to you and you can buddy them and play with them. The multiplayer games are fun too.