1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice mATX Haswell/GTX 770 Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by burnoutuk, 29 Jun 2013.

1. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Hi, Looking for a bit of advice on a new build.
    Budget is around £850. Very likely to have everything running at stock for now, though still like having the option to overclock in the future.
    Aim is a 'new' machine mainly used for gaming. Hopefully last me 3/4 years.

• Corsair 350D
    • Gigabyte Z87-G1.Sniper M5 S1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 mATX
    • Intel Core i5-4670K
    • Corsair H60
    • MSI GeForce GTX 770 Lightning

Already own:
    • Corsair CMPSU-750HXUK - Assuming this will be ok?
    • Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance - Will look to get another 8gb at some point.
    • Various SSDs.

I'm fairly set on an mATX build, the 350D case and the GTX 770 but I'm still undecided on the Gigabyte motherboard and the H60 cooler.

Any suggestions?

2. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

Gigabyte is always a solid manufacturer for boards so you're all good on the MOBO.
    I would recommend going with the i series corsair water coolers. Such as the h60i or the h80i. They've shown 3-5C cooler and the tubing is solid. Not as flimsy as the non I series.
    If at all possible I'd spring for the h80i. As far those coolers, a lot of the time they are future compatible such as they are with the lga 2011, 1155, and now the 1150. Go bigger now and you won't regret it in the future unless you plan on going with a custom loop.

The 770 is a solid choice, I don't know if you're US or UK but as of now, newegg has a sapphire 7970Ghz for 300USD (30% off) which is an easily compatible card to the 770 at a significantly cheaper price. Just make sure you check the size of the cards because the 770 and the 7970 are massive cards so I don't know if you'll have case clearance issues.

Your processor choice is also good. Only minimal gains over the 3570k so if you have a local looking to get rid if back stock (mine has ivys for 50-80 USD off) it might be worth simply going with the 3570k (in this unique situation) otherwise you have a solid build.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2013
  3. burnoutuk

h80i it is then!

Probably should have mentioned in the opening post. I'm UK based.
    I've previously gone AMD so fancy a change this time round. The MSI Lightning seems like a decent enough 770.

Cheers for the reply, helps me feel a bit more confident on my choices.
    Hopefully someone knows if my old PSU (Corsair CMPSU-750HX) will be ok with my planned build.

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Do they do a 770 Lightning? or are you confusing it with the gaming one?

Edit NVM. Good old Nvidia rebranding strikes again.

5. burnoutuk

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah the 70 caught me out.. Was thinking "Hey, MSI don't make Lightning for x70 cards" then twigged it was the 770 which is the rebranded 680 :S

Lovely cards those. Look even better when put in an Mpower :D

7. burnoutuk

Ha, yeah the Mpower boards look great but then you would need the Mpower RAM... :rock:

I've purchased the 770 card. There are a couple of Dabs vouchers that end tonight.
    It took the card down to £339 which seems a bit of a bargin.