1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yep, sorry it's already taken!

Payment received, Spreadie, packed up and ready to post in the morning :)

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Can someone please confirm what size screws I need for fixing a PCB into a case? Do I need M2's? If so what length? It's for a gh60 and a plastic case, no plate.

Thanks.

3. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

M2-4mm i believe, assuming you are using a standard poker sytle case

Last edited: 17 Mar 2016
  4. Yslen

Does anyone know the going rate for a (built) JD40 in the UK? CTRL Alt built two for me, looking to sell one. Blue switches, though plate is notched for solder-free switch stem/spring swaps.

5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yeah it's a std poker style case. Thanks.

No idea on the price, but how is it for day to day use? I've been interested in the form factor but I'm not sure if it is a step too far size wise. 60% is ideal, just not sure about 40%.

6. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Lucky I'm still waiting for my JD40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

JD40? PLANK!

8. Yslen

I use it for writing and it's great; I can sit down and write for a couple of hours without problems. Gaming? No. Coding? Hell no. :D

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

One Corsair K65 RGB received!

Sprog1 will be thrilled - Cheers mate!

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

any chance of an opinion of how u find the k65 mate ?

11. David

Funny you should say that - Sprog didn't realise the K65 was TKL and didn't want to go without a numpad, so he's actually trying my Quickfire TK as of this afternoon. Leaving me with a choice between my Rapid-i with Browns and the K65 with Reds, at least in the short term.

I should add that it arrived in pristine condition - Yslen clearly looked after it.

I'm trying out the K65 right now, but the only features that really make any difference (IMO) are the clear switch tops which let more light through and better illuminate the secondary legends on some of the caps, and the palm rest - I know it's supposed to be a wrist rest but it's far too shallow for that. It is comfortable to use, regardless, and I prefer the board with rather than without it.

I don't really care for RGB lighting - the flashy effects are a bit lost on me TBH, however I do like the subtle shade of turquoise I have the board set at.

Bits I don't really like much:
    I'm not overly thrilled at the bare plate - it shows too much of the switch bases - so an overlay or top cover would be better.

I don't like captive cables, even though this one is obviously very well made, and I don't like the two USB plugs; especially as there are no pass-through ports on the board itself.

Oh, and I don't like that you can't change the colour of the Winkey lock button, and theres the small niggle of the non-standard keys on the modifier row (not that it really matters).

Finally, MX Reds are not my favourite switch. I don't mind them, but I much prefer Browns.

I'm sounding overly harsh, because it's a really nice board to use.

Gotta admit, if the sprog decides to keep the TK, I'd be tempted to break out the solder/rework station and swap the stems for browns.

12. Yslen

Interesting review!

I personally did like the bare plate, I love that look. Sorry to hear about the numpad, or lack thereof, being a problem! Out of interest, what is it he would miss about the numpad? It's something I hear a lot e.g. from people I play league with, but as far as I can tell they never actually use the thing, they're just used to having it there... like some sort of numerical comfort blanket? :D

It is possible to change the lock light colour, you have to drag the box around it and it should let you match it to all the other keys you're editing?

You only need to use one of the USB cables if you have a 3.0 port I think, if that frees up some space for you.

13. David

I like the bare plate look with normal switches - I just think that, with the clear switches, the bare plate makes them look a little too exposed.
    Pretty much what I said to him, but he does a lot of stuff for the FIFA/Football Manager type games he and his mates play - not sure TBH, some kind of stats or some such.
    I tried - it doesn't change - it's always red until you press to lock.
    Yes, I know - theses are all minor gripes. Writing them down blows them out of proportion, somewhat. Stephen asked for my opinion and I'd be remiss not to mention the minor things. It's often the case that some minor issues really play on some peoples minds, so I was trying to be thorough.

I'll still finish up by saying none of the above gripes amount to enough to stop me buying one - I think it's actually a really nice board to type on and, despite my preferences, it is a very attractive one too.

14. Yslen

Glad you like it overall then :)

And at the risk of sounding like a massive pain in the arse, you can 100% definitely change the colour of that lock light. It even responds to ripples of colour moving across the board etc, or can be turned off completely. It's pretty telling as to how bad the software is that we're even having this conversation tbh, definitely something for them to improve!

Edit: although now you're making me doubt myself... :D

Last edited: 19 Mar 2016
  15. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

good short review mate thanks

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Does anyone here have SA keycaps?
    I wonder how are they compared to DSA profiles...

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Another question - forgive me second post..

I just received my new keyboard with MX blues. I love them, but I just noticed one thing - I can actually hear the spring noise! Is that normal? Something sounds like "ding!" :)

Last edited: 22 Mar 2016
  18. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Blues are definitely noisy, the Razer bf4 board definitely needed o rings as the bottoming out noise was extreme.

The qpad I have with blues gives a satisfying clicking sound when typing with much less bottoming out sound, I presume this is because the switches are mounted on a steel plate rather than a pcb.

So to answer your question yes you can hear the spring noise in my opinion plus numerous other noises

19. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

So MechSupplyUK have GMK Dolche and Cyan in ISO coming up soon. Are they really worth £85 though?

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Interesting. I read about it last night and lots of people mentioned this sound effect on blues.
    Apparently it supposed to go away after a while of using it.

I just ordered these o-rings (black 40A, 0.2mm reducers). Will try them and see how it changes the experience. I don't mind blues being loud, but this spring "ping" or "ding" noise is a bit disturbing:)