1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Memotech MTX512 - Valuable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 13 Oct 2015.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hey Guys,

We have been clearing out recently and find an old Memotech MTX512. British built I think, not sure if it is in working order. I was just wondering if anybody knew how valuable it might be? Or is it a part for the dump? :)

Thanks!
    Bogo

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Rare, and definitely not something to dump. Memotech is best known for Sinclair add-ons, including RAM packs for the ZX81, and the MTX series was its first - and last - attempt to break into the computer market itself. They didn't sell well, and they're very unusual to find. Either flog it for cash or send it to a UK computing museum: I can recommend The National Museum of Computing in Bletchley or The Centre for Computing History in Cambridge.

If it weren't for the fact I've been clearing out my collection, I'd bite your hand off myself. That said, if you want to loan it to me for a write-up in Custom PC, I wouldn't say no - I've never actually seen one in the flesh before!

EDIT: I should be working, but what the hey: the most interesting thing about the Memotech MTX family was its knock-on effect in the financial world. I unearthed the story when researching for a lecture, The Battle of Britain's Home Computers, I created for the Computer Conservation Society. Memotech went bust after signing a deal to supply MTX systems to the Soviet Union, which fell through. The bankruptcy took with it a chunk of taxpayer's money in the form of grants and loans, and was the direct causative agent for the UK Government to cease its up-to-then tens-of-millions of pounds in funding for the UK computer industry - and, thus, can at least partially be blamed for the microcomputing crash that took down Acorn and Sinclair (the former being acquired by Olivetti, the latter being acquired by Amstrad.)

Last edited: 13 Oct 2015
  4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Wow, thanks for the answers guys - and the info :) I did read about it being the trigger for the government stemming funding to that area. A real piece of history I have I guess then!

I would be happy to loan it to you if you wanted to do a write up, the only problem is that I live in Vietnam at the moment. Its at my mums house in Nottingham right now. Where do you guys operate out of?

Sending it to a museum sounds like a cool idea - ill have a think :)

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There is no 'you guys' these days: we're all freelancers. I'm in Bradford, West Yorkshire, which isn't quite as exotic as Vietnam but *does* do a good curry.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hmm, ill ask mother how functional it is. I think she was going to try plugging it in so we shall see how that goes...

If you really think it could be wanted by a museum I kind of like that idea. Ill let you know the plan, because if you did want to review it that would be super. Good use of the space all these years :p

Ill keep you posted - thanks :)