1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft in talks with Discord over potential $10 billion deal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Mar 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Staying relevant by nuking the competition? Microsoft? Surely not.
    Didn't discord become a thing because they acquired skype and made a mess of it?

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

10 Billion? I think that's about $3.95 for the software and $9999999996.05 worth of Microsoft wants to listen to your calls.

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Replacing xbox chat? Yes please.

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Considering MS owns Teams I don't think being able to listen in to discord chat has any value at all. Can you imagine the AI needed to filter out false positives from gamer comms? "watch my six while I plant the bomb" "help helllpp HELPPP I'm DYING!!!!" etc.

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

But at least their AI will be familiar with all the gamer insults.

Clippy: "It looks like your trying to insult someones mum, here are some phrases you might like to use: ........."

jb0 and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  7. play_boy_2000

They want to sell ads, not intercept bomb threats. Anyways, 10 Billion is absurd, regardless of the amount of ads Microsoft thinks they can sell.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yep, the idea of some chat software being worth 25% as much as ARM is rather silly.

But then what do I know, earlier this year the world got off on pretending that Gamestop has value...

9. play_boy_2000

It started as just a regular short squeeze, but the free publicity might legitimately turn things around for gamestop.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I look forwards to Microsoft buying Skype Discord, making it inconvenient to use and locking previously free features behind paywalls almost as much as I look forward to reading articles about how Microsoft killed Discord in a few year's time. Then in 2030 I look forward to reading about Microsoft being in talks to buy whatever replaced Discord in the affections of millions of gamers.

That seems unlikely to me, unless it can turn around Gamestop's failure to compete online, longstanding antipathy with publishers and the steady strangling of the concept of ownership by said publishers. It was a nice bump but only because someone kicked the horse really hard.

liratheal likes this.
Tags: Add Tags