1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft lays off Lionhead staffers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 18 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Hang on a tick... the game isn't a sales smash, and they sack the developers...

I hadn't even heard of this game! Isn't that the fault of the marketing team?!

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Bad games comes from poor game design, i.e. the lead of the team. As mentioned, there was a lack of communication, didn't even knew this game existed.

Studios are too much pressured to released a new opus per year, often at the cost of game mechanics. Just use the same graphics, throw a ligth story and increment the opus number.

Developpement only impacts the look and the performance of the game. It's the job of the game designers to create a gameplay that will make the developpers job worth buying. Then it's the job of the marketing team to make a good publicity.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I don't think you can entirely blame the marketing team when an on-rails Kinect-controlled fantasy-themed horse and cart simulator fails to capture the audiences imagination.

It's very hard to market something that will generate a "WTF?" response from everyone you show it to.

5. GuilleAcoustic

Do not underestimate the WTF factor in game industry :p. A WTF game will catch more curiosity than a common game that looks like all the other game out there :)

6. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

This is typical for the games industry these days though... project/game complete, bye bye developers spare a few to fix anything going belly up and those to do any DLC work.

New project, new teams, same brand, how do you enjoy having the wool pulled over your eyes?

7. GuilleAcoustic

I agree, and new devs have to relearn what the previous team discovered mistake after mistake. Just look at Diablo 3 .... new team .... they made the same errors that the D2 team made with D2 (and fixed with updates). The learning curves restart from its beginning.

8. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Horse and cart sim..LMFAO :clap:

I've also not heard of it but as keen as some people are to play Kinect-controlled sporty and jumpy up and down games maybe people don't want to spend days/weeks waving their arms about playing a long RPG, I certainly don't, Kinect-controlled games have their place but not every game is suited to it.

Oh, and I think the original 1996 "Fable" is probably a better game and it's now Abandonware and playable on Dosbox :cooldude:

[​IMG]

9. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I played it at eurogamer. Wasn't that bad. I could make it much more fun beneficial. Strap weights to your wrists and elbows and turn it into an endurance challenge.

10. ShinyAli

ShinyAli What's a Dremel?

Mmm, I can see the cases of Kinect-controller related RSI going through the roof :D

11. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Peter Molyneux (re. 22 Cans) is now making iOS games? My, how far those have fallen!

Tags: Add Tags