1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft unveils Surface DisplayCover prototype

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Aug 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

While I believe it is nothing more than a gimmick, it is one that I would be happy to have, that is, once they improve the quality of the 'E' screen. I would want it to be full colour and have a decent refresh rate as that current version not only looks awful but seems slow and cumbersome.

Still, seems to be a nice innovation and may be something to look forward to in future.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We have that already; it's called 'LCD.' You want a high refresh rate and full colour? You need lots of power. You want low power? You ain't going to get a high refresh rate and colour. The closest you'll come is Sharp's Memory LCD, as seen in the Pebble Time smartwatch, which is 64 colours and a reasonable refresh rate - but, unlike electrophoretic displays, requires power even when displaying a static image (although much, much less than a traditional active LCD.)

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I like it - certainly adds to the functionality of the surface devices...