1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Mini-ITX new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 23 Apr 2018.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Second hand is a bit more difficult for me as I live outside the UK, so when things go wrong its PITA to fix!

So I am nearly done with this now, the one last thing I need to sort is memory. 16GB of that GSKill 3000 is basically half the cost of the setup, and so I think 8GB should work in the short term and then I can double that up later.

Two questions:

- Should I get one 8GB stick now and just add another at a later date, or should I get 2x4GB for any added speed benefit and upgrade via 2*8GB later?
    - Is the speed difference in 3200 MHz RAM going to be significant over 3000 MHz?

Thanks so much everyone :D
    Bogo

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If you have gone with Ryzen, then (as has been said previously) you need to go for the fastest RAM you can afford, and from the motherboard QVL list to make sure it will run fine.
    As far as I remember, the speed gains for dual channel RAM (4+4GB) are in the order of 5-10%, so a single 8GB stick will be lower in bandwidth, but less expensive when you upgrade

3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Alright all done! Thanks all. I went with 16GB as that seemed to be strongly recommended.

Just as an extra, I think ill get a new PSU with this order. The mobo is about 125W and the CPU 90W max. Do you think a 400W PSU would work for this? I realise 400 > 230 ish but I know you should be getting too near the top end or the power becomes less stable.

There is a be-quiet well reviewed PSU which might be good for what I need, but its only 400W. Do you think this would be fine, or would I be better off getting a higher power PSU? (be-quiet psu linked here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4d7ZQZ).

Thanks!
    Bogo

Last edited: 23 Jun 2018
  4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Yeah it will be perfectly fine.