1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Mornington Crescent

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Penguin, 22 May 2008.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've found using the reverse parallelogram method seemed to take me to Notting Hill Gate and then found me holding a rather nice new TV I bought from a bloke for a tenner.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Am I too late to join this game? It was created less than five years ago, which places it within the underling catchup clause introduced in 1921 (see Woodworth, p.480 - I don't think I need to cite it in full). I therefore claim 3 free pub manouevres to use later, and expend all my introductory pins to arrive at Lordship Lane. I have two ticket stubs and my deck is now red for the next two turns - I trust you guys not to play mean, though :)

I don't think joining the play this late on will set me at too much of a disadvantage, because frankly many of you have been playing like amateurs. Most of the original contestants appear to be stuck on long flights or embroiled in tax disputes, in any event.

3. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

I too would like to join the game however, I would like to invoke the Jones Rule appendix B (successfully added in 1965), which allows me as a new player to arrive at Black Friars with two ticket stubs an Ace of Clubs and 26 pence in pennies, however at a disadvantage of having to roll a one to progress next turn

4. TheButler

TheButler What's a Dremel?

Nope- still stuck at Bayswater. :duh:

The Tudor rule 29a says I must change lines but this means I am now heading in the wrong direction and breaking Wessex article 15 and the Lord Privy Council manditory rule of hopping on one leg all weekend - any help?

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Well you could recreate the Indy ploy but after the very sucessfull variation of it in 1876 match of Wayne versus Rogers (Trumpington variation) I'm sure it has become too well known to be effective. If you could somehow execute a red-yellow switchup reverse xantos gambit on top of it, it may be possible but that requires the move to be executed over a pentagram at midnight on Walpurgis and would leave you open the a Ryleh clause under the Times new setlist of 83'.

6. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I'm delighted to see such a vibrant display of sportspersonship in the playing of THE GAME.

Fairly obviously starting at Stratford and according to the Thames Estuary Ruleset of 1957 (Chapters 45 and half to 109) I'll be forced to discard my spare buttons and instead pickup sticks in a westerly downside direction consequently upon standing appearing to be in Oxford Circus where I will have to remain for at least a round as I need to throw a 9 with 1 dice inversewise. What rotten luck..

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Anyone heard of the new Nyan set of rulings passed down by The Boris's Defence League?

Rather simple. Get on the circle line and never get off. I've been rocking around from Baker Street all morning.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Nyan Rulings? Boris' Defence League? Balderdash. These are just re-workings of the Buggrit Tramp Rules of 1865 (which have already been updated in 1898, 1968 & 1979).

Anyway, it's so long since I've played a turn that I'm invoking the Shanghai-Onzo rules of 1973, which means that my playing piece turns into a brown chicken-rat hybrid and automatically gets placed at Arnos Grove with a bonus score of 37.

Beat that if you can :D

9. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

Well I successfully manage to roll a 1 and get to move, I would like to use Japanese Kancho Rules of 1988 which allow me to successfully swap two ticket stubs for two 8-balls and move to Maida Vale scoring only a 9 of hearts and a token from a slot machine

10. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Not a legal move I've afraid. You needed to roll a 4+ on a D36 - check out the 9th edition rules...

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

[out of context] I was thinking, someone should do a mornington crescent wiki, that way it would actually become an actual playable game (assuming you add a core framework, new rulesets could easily be added over the top as long as you have a way of maintaining proper precedence) where the community could continually add more rulesets[/out of context]

[back in context] It seems I lose my flapperjack for my blasphemy penalty but on the flipside I gain a double multiplier to my twitnick bonus in Chalfont and Latimer for a-certain-station-reference according to the Hanns Loman Rulings revisions of 2015.[/back in context]

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

It already is an actual playable game.

We're playing it.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Like Mankz said, this is already a playable game. Do you think that we were making up all these rules and inventing new rulesets as we went along? I'm shocked that you would even suggest such a thing :eeek:

In my state of agitation, I fumble my Chelsea Dagger while reaching around for the dice. According to the Heinzebeanen Accord of 1937, this counts as a move and my piece ends up on Sloane Square.

Not as bad as it could have been, given the circumstances! :clap:

14. Digi

Awaking from sleep I throw a 7 on a 4-sided dice, pickup 3 and half cards and double up my pin count with a move counterwise. This all points to a bit of skullduggery and it seems - after consulting the William Shatner rulebook of '65 - that I've been forced to attend Brixton where all my remaining hats were stolen and being turned on my head am stuck for at least a toss. :duh:

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

That can't be legal under Shatner '65, your move was was far to cohesive. A move from that rule set must be... broken... by at least... four beats. Referee?

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Absolutely, Steveo, I agree with you.

Definitely...not...legal. Must...miss...next turn.

On the positive side, Digi, you could have been playing the Shatner '82 rules, which would mean that you'd have to massively increase your weight and star in a crappy cop show.

17. boiled_elephant

I use one of my dilithium crystals to bribe a bus driver (bribes are now legal as of the 2002 revisions, which supercede all previous controversies about proper crystal use). Unfortunately my luggage weight is over 20lbs, so I must exploit the daylight savings time exception (1988 1st ed., p.43) to alight without losing my remaining cards.

This leaves me on Langham road facing northwest.

My luggage (minus tokens, pins and my one remaining ticket stub) stays on the bus, as required, and may be claimed by any person facing south within 50m of a bus stop in the next four turns. Note that, as clarified by the most recent televised games (BBC 3, 2010), claiming the luggage will restore your hit points at the cost of two Buddah statuettes. Contents of the luggage is random, revealed on collection (to be chosen by d20 rolls from Codex 65 ch.8).

Incidentally, all three of you are incorrect about the Shatner rules - they were reissued and updated for the last European series and supercede the Hawthorne volumes you're presumably still using. I think we need to establish a standard before proceeding - I don't mind which issue we use, but we have to all agree on one if the game is to make any sense at all.

18. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

19. boiled_elephant

How many tuning forks do you have in your pockets? The 1976 amendment stipulates a minimum of two before you can do that.

And of course, you need to name the bank you're visiting. It must be within 3 clockwise corners of your current position and direction. But now I'm just being patronising.

20. Digi

+1 - it's all so obvious really, what a comical error on my part. Frankly I believe the only sound rulebook worth using is Nostradamus Edition 14 (from 1566 of course) including supplemental indexes and chemicals.

Moving swiftly on... My pocketwatch was stolen on a walk to Stockwell and rolling a d10 for a save actually lost me my shoes as well. I forfeit the rest of the turn and take refuge in a local public house.

boiled_elephant likes this.