1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI announces VR Boost breakout box

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jul 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

But how many motherboards have "spare" USB 3 headers, you know, an extra one that isn't already powering the case USB 3 ports ?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My motherboard has two internal USB 3.0 headers, of which only one is used ('cos my case's front panel has one USB 3.0 port and two USB 2.0 ports). But my motherboard ain't exactly top end, so it wouldn't surprise me to find that bigger and better boards have more than two USB 3.0 headers to their name.

4. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

my z87-x oc only has one, sabretooth 990fx one, I've only ever seen a few boards with two, plenty still without even one as well.

More is better though in this case and I hope many do have more than the one header, if your FM2 has two - every board seems to have several USB 2 ones though - # I must be missing something Gareth - spec sheet from board you listed shows one internal USB 3 header (for 2 ports) and two external ports on the rear panel.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2016
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Aye, there are two USB 3.0 port headers in one physical group; my single USB 3.0 case port is connected to one half, and the other half is free for a second. I'm using "header" here to mean "group of pins supporting one USB 3.0 port" - so I have two.

'Course, another way around the problem would be to buy a cheap USB 3.0 PCIe card.

6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Ah, I think I see LOL - but surely the mobo header is still the full size lump of plastic - thus leaving nothing for the VR boost to plug in to ?

That add in card certainly looks like it'd do the trick though - but I personally feel they'd be better bundling a card like that (even one with an internal header and no rear ports would be fine) with the VR boost.

7. Gareth Halfacree

You're right: I was remembering it as taking up half the block, but it takes up the full block despite only having a single port on t'other end of it. Removing the side of my case wasn't a waste, though: gave me an opportunity to clear out a bunch of dust that had accumulated over the past year or so!

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

yeah ... kill them dust bunnies !

I'll let you get back to work now.

9. Gareth Halfacree

...do I have to?

10. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

How does the HDMI connect internally ? does it just run to the outside of your case to plug into your graphics card ? I don't think i've ever seen an internal HDMI port on a GPU or motherboard.

11. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

You could get an USB 3 addon card, preferably one with USB3.1 to be future proof.

Or simply remove the case's USB if you have a vr set, put some tape over it or something, the point here is to have that HDMI next to the USB on front so you can easily plug things in in a nice grouping.