1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G Fan Issue RMA

Discussion in 'MSI UK' started by Comrade Woody, 27 Nov 2014.

1. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Hi, I bought an MSI GTX 970 shortly after release but unfortunately encountered a fault with one of the fans. I posted about the issue here when it first occurred.

I hoped that it would be a one off, but it went on to happen several more times and so I reluctantly returned the card to ebuyer.

I provided them with a link to the same post I've linked to above, along with this video I recorded of the fault on the card in question (the quality sucks, I know).

Ebuyer emailed me this morning informing me that no fault has been found and they are returning the card to me. I called them to protest and they are now keeping it for further testing.

While this is a relatively minor intermittent issue, I don't really want to have spent so much money on something that doesn't work properly.

I don't know how thoroughly ebuyer are testing the card, but if they fail to replicate the issue with further testing I expect they'll refuse to do anything else and want to return it to me again, which I won't accept.

I've provided evidence of the issue, and it does seem to be an issue you're aware of, so I wondered if there was anything you could do to help. I'd be very grateful for any assistance you can offer.

2. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Just a quick update.

I noticed this morning that my RMA request was listed as closed on the ebuyer site so I decided to call them to make sure they were still retesting the card as promised. I spoke to a lovely girl who assured me that yes, they still had the card, and yes it would be retested. While I was on the phone a parcel arrived, which I didn't open until the call had ended. Can you guess what it was? If you said my 970 then give yourself some cheesecake! They'd sent it back, despite telling me twice they'd still got it. I was not amused.

I called again, explained the situation, got transferred, explained the situation again, then had to insist no less than three times that they take the card back before they agreed to approve the RMA again. The poor guy kept having to go back and forth between me and his supervisor, who clearly did not want to accept the return. I now have to wait until Monday for the courier to collect it.

I also found out that they'd only tested it for an hour, despite stating the following when they refused the return:
    They also told me they hadn't known it was an intermittent fault, but I had provided a detailed description of the problem along with video of it, so I'm assuming they just didn't bother to read the notes.

I'm really not impressed with the way they've dealt with this so far and I suspect they're just going to say there's nothing wrong with it again when they get it back. It's very frustrating.

3. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

4. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Well the card's back with ebuyer again now for more testing. I was really hoping to have heard something from MSI by now. Even if it's just to say there's nothing you can do it'd be nice to at least be acknowledged.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I have to say I was going to order a MSI 970 during black friday deals. But between the Aria pricing issue and the lack of response on this widely reported fan issues. I've gone with a competitor this time.

6. MSIRawZ

MSIRawZ MSI UK Rep

Hi Comrade. Have you tried RMA'ing to our NL hub instead? Perhaps eBuyer can't detect the issue themselves. Please email: myservice.uk@msi.com

7. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Thanks for your reply. So far I've only dealt with ebuyer but I'll bear that in mind if I can't resolve the issue with them. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

8. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

It's a Christmas miracle!

Sadly I've pretty much completed Far Cry 4 now on my old 6950 so I'll have to find something else pretty to take advantage of the new card when it arrives. I'm glad this is sorted though, I was half expecting it to drag on into the new year.

9. MSIRawZ

MSIRawZ MSI UK Rep

Glad eBuyer sorted this for you. I pointed your problem out to our team yesterday so we may have had some input with eBuyer.

10. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Thank you for that :)