1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Need cad drawings done

Discussion in 'Modding' started by motas, 27 Jul 2010.

1. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    as you probably already know i am in the process of a scratch build. I need to get the expansion slots on the back of the mobo made and I am going to use the lian li tool free thing. I need someone to draw a net for 2mm aluminium to be maade on a cnc to be identical to the one in a lian li pc a71fb and similiar cases. I have tried to get into contact with lian li so they may be kind enough to give me a cad or a spare tray. If not I am happy to pay someone here or ocau who is qualified to do autocad to draw one up. If you would be able to do this (must own a lian li with the tool free slots) please post here and give me a price.
    Thanks for any help.

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Isn't the tool-less mechanism made from aluminium anyway:

[​IMG]

Also by the looks of it you would need to get some parts bent too, and the cost would probably come to more than just buying the case and salvaging the parts off it.

3. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

4. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to build the back of the tray notthe tool free part I'm bbuilding a kobo tray to put it on. The Lian li tray isn't compatible.

5. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

are you trying to build the part that has the slots and IO shield cut out? If so, why is the Lian-Li part not compatible? It is a completly standard design, made out of aluminum.

6. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

I don't know why it isn't but I asked lian li and they said it wasn't. I am trying to make a whole mobo tray.

7. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

Well looking at your concept models. I do not see why a regular motherboard tray unit from Lian-li or any other case builder will not work.

Maybe you could show some more detail about the motherboard tray you are trying to build.

8. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Because it needs to be fit to size. Don't worry why but I aleedy have the alu as need it the same as a Lian li on but the one you can buy isn't compatible with the tool free because I was going to do that.

9. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

The tool free looks like it is compatible with any motherboard tray, as long as there are no rivets right above the slots. And on those replacement trays there are rivets right above the slots. Changing this would be easy as you would only have to add holes to the backplate and then rivet it in place.

As far as making the piece you are talking about out of 2mm aluminum, that may not work very well. There has to be a lip for the cards to rest on. Typical bending radius' for 90degree bends in aluminum is 1.5xThickness. Putting a bend in 2mm aluminum is not easy. You will end up with a very large radius, on the order of 3mm. This may not let you use the lian-li clamp system, and also could cause problems with installing cards.

Another thing to think about is. The replacement backplat is fairly cheep compaired to getting parts machine. You can always use it on some other mod down the road.

edit:

Found this thread over at overclocking.net.

http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-work-logs/679170-completed-lian-li-tooless-pci-bracket.html

He installed the lian-li clamp into a storm scount from Coolermaster.

10. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

I have the alu for the mibo tray not the pci slots. That's why I want a custom one because I already have it. Also I was planning on welding the backplate to it because I'm trying to avoid rivets and screws outside the case. I'm more worried about distance from tray to mounting holes and stuff like that for it not working. Either way I will either need a cad or a replacement backplate.
    Thanks.

11. asura

asura jack of all trades

Welding Al? You might TIG it, but it's not an easy metal to make hot connections with. Lian Li use 1.5mm not 2mm Al though I measured it at 1.48, but that's probably just err creping in.

12. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

I know someone who can weld alu. I still need the cads though unless I can buy the right thing off loan li which is unlikely since they ignore my emails. Don't you just love big companies.
    Thanks for everyones help.

13. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

I have a Googlesketchup of a motherboard tray and PCI slots, which I have just used in my scratch build: Sketchup Scratch build

14. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Thanks but a sketchup is useless to me.

15. asura

asura jack of all trades

16. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Thanks but sketchup isn't powerful enough to be put through a cnc. Curvees will be jagged and lines might not be straight. I need a 2d cad of a net of the io plate on a lian li case.
    Thanks anyway.

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

Once you've drawn your circle, right click, select "Entity Info", in the heading "Segments" choose as high a number as you need to make the curve perfectly smooth. If you've drawn the line's straight then it will come out straight.

What's the aversion to using Sketchup? If it's good enough for 3D printing then it's good enough for a 3axis CNC.

You can download DFX viewers for free, try exporting your SKP to a DFX and having a look at it, then seeing what you think.

And yes, it is powerful enough, it's been done with things considerably more complex than a few curves and straight lines. 20 seconds of googeling...

18. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

That's just what I heard. I need the lian li one anyway and a net would bemore useful. Thanks anyway.

19. asura

asura jack of all trades

Something like perhaps this?

20. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

Its still not the lian li one anyway. Im just gonna take in the case and get someone to copy it.
    Thanks anyway.