1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Netbook brands

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jhng, 20 Sep 2011.

1. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Does anyone have any particular loves and hates as regards netbook brands?

I am planning to get something for my trainride (50 mins each way) for (a) writing articles etc and (b) playing older PC games that I missed first time round (e.g. isometric rpgs like Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate, point-and-clickers like the Last Express, possibly replaying some of the pre-mouselook fps -- GOG and Steam will provide).

I can type very well on a full size keyboard and can also cope on an iPhone virtual keyboard -- so I would have thought I could adapt quite easily to a netbook keyboard. A laptop would be too hefty (and expensive) for the role, a tablet wouldn't really fit the functionality needed (give that I also use an iPhone).

Currently leaning towards Asus EeePC 1015PX or Samsung NF210, both of which have the more recent Atom N5** processors and are otherwise comparable in terms of spec. Budget will be under £300.

Does anyone have any comments/experience?

Thanx,
    jhng

2. Virt

Virt What's a Dremel?

I really like the feel and look of netbooks that have the "scrabble" style of keyboard.

Looking at those netbooks, they both have that type of keyboard. I think it's much nicer to type on. Even though I'm not the worst (or best) typist in the world, I hated the feeling of the closeness of the keys on the older models.

Speed wise, I can't really comment. I don't own one myself, but I have been able to use a couple. Battery life isn't going to be an issue for you I'd assume, as your journey isn't that long.

Still, I think they're fantastic and much easier to carry and on public transport than a bigger laptop.

By the way, if you're looking for older games to play, maybe you should have a look at Dungeon Keeper. (Google KeeperFX if you're interested)

3. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Virt. That's helpful (and, yes, Dungeon Keeper is on the list!)

jhng

4. chittes

chittes What's a Dremel?

The Asus EeePC 1015PX certainly looks very nice at £250 - and all the reviews on Amazon are 5* - yeah I know, not the most reliable tech review source, but it's unusual to find 21 of 24 5* reviews, the others 4* and the one negative one because of a faulty hard drive (which can, of course happen to anything).

My one slight concern is I've read a review of the Eee PC 1215N, linked, and it says that the keyboard has a dodgy amount of flex - and the keyboard is the same as the 1015PX, that "Scrabble" style as Virt puts it. So when typing other keys can be pressed as the one you're pressing... whether that's other folks experience??

It doesn't sound ideal to me - but then no one on Amazon is complaining about the keyboard....