1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New 7970 Playing up, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmilerAl, 31 Dec 2012.

1. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Recently got a new 7970, ran great and maxed out all my games, however a few days later I'm noticing artifacts on my screen and also according to MSI Afterburner the GPU usage jumps from 96% on start up. It then stays like this and I can't seem to fix it. I've tried reinstalling the drivers too but no success. Is this a wide problem or should I return my graphics card? Thanks.

2. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I would return the card personally

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Artifacts would indicate a poor overclock / unstable overclock.

MSI have a history for this and id send it back and request a card not made by MSI.

you can technically fix this yourself by just removing the overclock they have pre applied, its also a good way to test if it is just the overclock or if your card is fubar.

4. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Just to clarify it's not an MSI 7970, rather a Gigabyte one. Also I haven't overclocked it at all yet, it's just on default.

For now it's sort of fixed it self, it only goes to full GPU usage when on Witcher 2 with Uber Sampling but I'm still paranoid it may **** up again any time soon.