1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage New HDD not working! HELP ! ! !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meaty Pete, 3 Sep 2010.

1. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

Ok so I bought a Samsung F2 Ecogreen 1.5 TB for my home-made nasbox (running FreeNAS) after reading bit-tech's review of it saying it would be good for a nasbox drive.

It begins OK writing files (Mainly videos) and then after a short while stops writing and keeps making the nasbox reboot. I thought it might be a FreeNAS issue so after some fiddling eventually gave up on the nasbox idea and stuck the HDD into my Win7 PC.

Again starts working writing files etc. then same happens, stops writing and the time remaining dialogue box starts to spiral upwards to days left. Then when I try to copy anything there is no response from the get-go, just doesn't respond at all (and time remaining spirals).

This is incredibly frustrating as I just want to transfer my media to it and start enjoying it and I've been fiddling with the problem for 3 days now.

Main question is the HDD faulty and should I return it and get another one?

From things I've read I have tried a number of solutions like formatting the drive to different sizes 2048, 16K etc. Also tried disabling Avira antivirus (which someone said might be the problem).

Bear in mind these are large copy jobs such as whole series of things and that initially I thought it was an 'over the network' problem as I was copying from my laptop, but even copying from a separate external HDD via USB the same thing happens with the Samsung HDD (Freezes and makes a ticking noise).

Please help guys? :wallbash:

2. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Ticking noise is generally bad, especially with the symptoms you described. RMA it, imho.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Sounds dead to me. RMA.