1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Scythe and Thermaltake coolers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

If that copper Ninja wasn't so damned heavy, I might be interested. As it is, I'm happy with my aluminium one. :hehe:

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

to heavy for my taste and my mobo.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

This is getting ridiculous, to be honest. What we need are cooler-running components and more efficient cooling solutions. What we don't need is a contest for who can produce the biggest pen- err, I mean the biggest heatsink.

I think these are totally unecessary, and are marketed as widgets to give you bragging rights.

So there.

-monkey

5. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

If you need a heatsink that big then just spend the money on a liquid cooling unit, Duh :duh: There is no need for that much air flow for CPU cooling especially if you can't even see what else is in your PC :wallbash:

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

First there was the casefan mania. Casses stuffed with 120mm or 80mm fans. Nobody complains about the noise these where generating.
    Then came the ccfl mania. Cases stuffed with all those kitchy light kits. blinking, rolling or collorchanging.
    Then came the copper is better cooling mania. Copper heatsinks the size of a car was the bomb. Although not cooling a few degrees more then standard cooling.
    Then came the Silent mania. With copperfins in all sorts of shapes, from umbrella likes to vortex shaped fins.
    Then came the Heatpipe mania. Heatpipe was the new kid and everything went over the top from there. Heatsinks with one, two, six, and even 10 pipes on the cpu heatsink. But that did not stop there. All of a sudden copper heatpipes where on every motherboard. And even those gets extremer to rollercoaster like shapes and bends.

But hold on! We got something new here!. Now we combine heatpipes with giant radiator like fins. And then we ad some more and bigger fans to it!

I wonder why the copperprices wend skyhigh the last couple of years. Over here even the thiefes are seeing $$$ in copper. They even starting to steal whole copper lighting railes and steal even the copper lines that power the trains! And pulling kilometers of copper wire out of the ground.

Also it is a waste of resources. Anybodie 'knows' that this is not the right way to go. We have to fight the source of the problem. The devices that generated the heat. There comes a time that the biggest heatsink in the world can not cool a processor anymore with the wattage increase this going. Not to mention the ridiculus psu wattages. I can not imagine that in 2 years every houshold computer is running a 2000watt 24/7. Dont they know what this is going to do to the powergrid and enviroment.

Its totaly insane!

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You bunch of moaning minnies :)

Any heatsink and fan that could possibly cool a cpu near-silently without the risk of splashing liquid anywhere but getting near to the cooling properties of water is a good idea in my book.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The stock heatsink that came with my processor runs almost completely silent. It's a pretty small heatsink, and keeps my CPU at about 30C idle. Oh, and it has a 60mm fan on it, as well.

During a heavy load, such as rendering video, the CPU gets up to about 50C. Again, this is with the stock heatsink and 60mm fan.

Is it really necessary to have a heatsink that big? Do we really need huge fans? With proper implementation, you can use an older Scythe Ninja with a single 120mm fan to keep things pretty darn cool.

I thought about investing in a watercooling setup, but after my research I'm left to believe that air cooling already has reached the point where it's pretty effective. Sure, it might not cool as well as water; however, as long as my components don't overheat, and as long as I can keep things running at near silence, then watercooling remains a geek-factor thing.

-monkey

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

These may be a (silly sized) step towards the second part but I Couldn't agree more with the first part. :thumb:

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@./^\.Ace./^\.
    For water colling you have the problem of refilling your expensive (on my tastes) liquid, chances of leakage, and water cooling pump motor noise, and fan noise for some water colling setup.

Also, for people that never installed a water cooling system in there life, and know nobody else that has a water cooling system, it can get very complicated to setup. (eg: what to wire what first)

11. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

Oh, you're right :duh: I would still suggest that they look into water cooling if they are in a toss between water cooled or that gigantic fan thing. the noise from a water pump must be quieter then that fan, and think of the dust :lol:

Tags: Add Tags