1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other No power to board in new build

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by eddierow, 4 Feb 2011.

1. eddierow

eddierow What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I've just put together a new system and for some reason I'm not getting any power to the motherboard at all, no beeps from the speaker, the cpu fan isn't spinning or the psu fan.

I've tested the psu with a paper clip attached to the green and black wire's and that works fine when not connected to the board.

The board itself is a Foxconn G41MXE and I'm using a 24pin 550w psu, I've done the basic's, connect the 24pin and the 4 pin for the cpu fan.
    The board was part of a bundle where the cpu, heatsink, fan and ram were already installed so I can only guess they have been installed correctly.
    I'm really not sure what else it could be other than the motherboard itself is just dead but I was connected to a wrist strap and earthed properly so I'm really not sure what has gone wrong!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I'd be grateful if you could give me any suggestions to try before it gets smashed with a hammer lol

Thanks, Eddierow

2. Virtblue

Virtblue What's a Dremel?

How are you turning it on?

Have you checked to see if your power button is connected to the correct posts? Also have you tried bypassing the power button and shorting the posts your self?

Edit: after looking up the manual(p.16) you should be shorting the green coded pair of posts.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2011
  3. Deders

Deders Modder

Yeah sometimes the Power connectors to the case's front panel aren't colour coded the same way as the motherboard, try connecting adjacent pairs of pins with a screwdriver and see if there is any life there.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Virtblue and Deders pretty much have it covered.
    Welcome to Bit-Tech :)

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

also since you say it arrived pre assembled, reseating everything would be the next step. sometimes things can come unseated during shipping. also make sure nothing on the back of the motherboard is grounding on the pc case.

6. eddierow

eddierow What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help guys I'll give it a go and let you know of the outcome

7. that_du^de

that_du^de give your head a wobble

take the psu out and try it in a other pc that will tell you if it is dead,i had the same problem with a psu and it would work if i jumperd the pins but it turned out the 5v rail had gone down.

8. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Have you connected the 4-pin ATX 12V from the PSU to the motherboard?

Tags: