1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia decides not to rebrand 9800 GT as GTS 240

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. quack

quack Minimodder

Renaming old designs is annoying and confusing. The only cards that should be carrying 2xx names are brand new designs, not re-hashes of 2/3 year old ones! *hmph*

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

and why changing naming strategies at all? 240 sounds much less impressive than say 10 000 GT compared to a 9800 GT
    maybe it is to avoid long names? (otherwise, within ten years we've got the "Nvidia ten trilion GT" review on bit-tech.... )

4. Florian

Florian Minimodder

And GeForce 256 sounded more impressive than GeForce 4. What's your point? ;)

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That proves that their renaming scheme didn't aim to avoid customer confusion [having 1 naming scheme instead of 2 or 3] but just to fool people into "upgrading" with exactly the same card.

6. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

nvidia is an Artist in peeling the customers (a century ago they would dip them in the river with the crowd gathered in retribution).
    Things have gone so far, that I will buy ATI even if it will be slightly more expensive for the same performance).

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

[​IMG]

^^ they way i feel from this news

8. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

Thank you Nvidia!!! Ggggeeeezzz It was getting embarrassing to see them do this.

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

no one is buying their cards anyway, next.

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

well i just bought a GTX280, so clearly they are selling cards.

im really glad that they wont rename the 8800GT for the THIRD time, its just a shame that it took pressure from board partners to make them realise how stupid their naming conventions have been and are.

11. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

What?......:eyebrow: Ooookkkkkk............ :duh: The world has not grouped together and agreed to only buy from ATI. Everybody feels the economic climate in the GPU market. But for people that do buy new cards at the moment both brands are great to have in the PC. :grr: "Good day sir"

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Right now it's actually better to buy a GTS 250/9800GTX+ than to get a HD4850, the cheapest HD4850 is $10 more but the cheapest GTX 250 is only $130.

On the other hand the HD4870 is much cheaper than the GTX 260 last I checked.

13. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

my god i'm confused. i thought all the fuss was over the 9800gtx+, not the 9800gt.

14. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I sit back after my initial reaction, and think about how having one naming convention would help, but looking at what's in my pc, my friends pc's, client's pc's, and what is still selling on the market; and just cannot fathom how they would ever be able to pull it off.

Perhaps if they took every card produced in the last 4yrs, and put them in an ordered list, to show performance of the cards, then marketed the ba-jesus out of that, then they might get to a point of starting a new single naming convention. But I guess you sell more cards to people looking for an upgrade by just changing the name, albeit loosing customers that find out the truth afterwards, or that just don't see any gain in their performance.

15. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Too many names :(

I just buy whatever comes up in the bit tech monthly round up these days.

16. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

They already renamed 1 card into the GTX/S series, what is their problem now?

Tags: Add Tags