1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 to launch soon?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Oct 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

By crikey! I presume it'll fit in an Akasa Eclipse 62?

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ooooooooooh....................

/drool

580 vs 69xx radeon.... oh yeah, bring on the gloves! :D

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

/want!

but no displayport :(

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

fold-tastic!

7. douglatins

douglatins What's a Dremel?

Sign me up i want one or 2

8. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Alright, but unless they've made tweaks to bring the GF100 more in line with the GF104 architecture, how can it not run hotter than a furnace?

9. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

You forgot to mention that, It needs a 6 and 8 pin power connection connected to 1000V, 10A commercial power supply

10. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Am I looking at my next GPU... :)

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Yay, I can afford a 4xx series now

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

damn both ati and nvidia are doing a crappy job lately. ati doesn't seem to be making any significant improvements other than a smaller fab size, and nvidia is just slapping more stuff on which imo is dangerous considering how the gtx400 series has enough power and heat issues.

i'm sure the gtx580 will perform the best but seriously, nvidia NEEDS to fix their power and thermal issues first. this is their chance - i don't think the hd6000 series is going to be much of a success and i feel like nvidia is just taking their sweet-ass time tacking on more things when they have stuff that needs improvement

13. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I think that's exactly what they've been doing. The new chip is thought to be codenamed GF110 btw.

We won't know until the TDP is announced, but the GTX 470 style cooler points towards less heat. Rather unlike the Radeon 6970 with its rumoured 255W TDP..

14. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

nvidia can't "fix" how much power Fermi uses, it's already been set in stone that they're power hungry chips. Their only option would be to reduce power by dropping below 40nm, which isn't going to happen for at least another generation due to the fabs having issues.

Which is the same as AMD who also were unable to drop their fab size, and all improvements and power savings were made in other ways on the 6000 series. So AMD never dropped their fab size and nvidia is just trying to release a card with the original high end fermi specs.

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

How can you possibly assume from one picture that this card will over heat and cost a fortune to run?

You can't, so shut up until the guys and gals here at Bit-Tech tell you otherwise.

16. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

No one's assuming anything from the picture. It's from the fact that the GTX 480 runs pretty damn hot and hungry as it is, and, as it appears that the 580 will have all the stream processors unlocked & have higher clocks, logical thinking says that the 580 should run even hotter unless Nvidia's managed to significantly improve the architecture.

They even suggest it themselves in the article: "While the longer PCB will allow Nvidia to fit a larger heatsink, it remains to be seen whether the reference GTX 580 cooler will avoid the problems of noise and heat build up that plagues the reference GTX 480 1.5GB cooler.2

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

que the whoopass music while huang swings from a rope on stage with wood screws

18. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

one of two things should happen nowadays... either ATi hires a group of driver devs that aren't a bunch of monkeys, or nVidia should win the performance war, therefore making it easier for customers... You want a 5970? sure its just 100$ more than a 480GTX and a lot of performance gain, so whats the con? well, they haven't released a good driver for that card in 6 months?

19. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

I really don't understand why everyone seems so worried about a TDP of 255W - the GeForce GTX 480 had a maximum power draw of 299W which seems in the same ball-park. It's not as if ATI is breaking new ground, is all I'm saying!

20. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I was getting ready to disagree with you for hating on ATI's drivers, but fair point about the 5970; judging by the thread on here it has a lot of BIOS/Driver issues.

Very true, I've seen quite a few people worrying about this & the same thought struck me. It's very likely to perform better than the 480 and with 25% less heat & power, that really doesn't sound all too bad to me.

Tags: Add Tags