1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia has a QPI license

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Aug 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I just don't get why they didn't do this. They no longer have to bother with the memory controller. They could do a repeat of the NF4 for AMD with this platform launch, their chipset division could've striked back. I guess they have other plans.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so they focus the SLi for high end users on cheaper CPU socket?

please someone explain to me how does the Nehalem line works? Bloomfield is high end socket 1336, Lynnfield and Havendale is midrange, socket 1100something) without IOH? (how can CPU have less pins while not having a IOH? )

dudging im using quad core and P35 midrange motherboards with single graphics card, which CPU shall i buy? Bloomfield or Lynnfield?

4. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

Neither, ppl with P35/P45 and a Quad have no reason whatsoever to upgrade to Nehalem (unless you're talking bragging rights). Better now to wait for benchies and stuff and then maybe purchase the 32nm die shrink of Nehalem (Westmere?)

P45 Chipset and a Q9650 or P35/Q6600 are good enough to last you trough Nehalem and wait for the refresh, since Nehalem isn't much better at gaming. Only if you plan on doing LOTS of highly-optimized multithreadeded apps, then you will see big differences.

5. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Wouldn't gamers prefer to spend their money on high-end graphics card(s) (single, SLI or CrossFire) than on a high-end CPU?

I'm pretty sure that Lynnfield and Havendale will preform well enough for most people (for both office work and games). All you're going to need is a decent GPU to go along with it.

Here you go: http://www.nehalemnews.com/2008/04/nehalem-faq.html :thumb:

I must say I'm curious to know if NVIDIA will implement Hybrid SLI on Havendale CPUs (since they have integrated graphics on-dye). Has the cross-licensing agreement gone that far?
    One could speculate that an alternative to implement Hybrid SLI would be integration of a GPU on the nForce 200... but that's just me speculating. :blush:

And about the QPI license, we shouldn't forget about the server/workstation market. nForce Professional for Nehalem (Beckton or Gainestown), anyone? :)

Tags: Add Tags