1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage NVME troubles - I think

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adidan, 16 Jan 2022.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Hey all.

Weird one.

I had a frozen shoulder so wasn't on my sig pc for several months.

Switched it on the other day and the bios had reset date/time. I found that out after getting select a boot manger. Weird I thought but reset everything in the bios and booted up.

Logged in, started updating Windows updates and then a bsod. Bios then didn't show my nvme.

Anyway, replaced the CMOS battery, that sorted the date/time and the nvme was present. Booted into the windows login, entered password and bsod again.

The nvme keeps disappearing and reappearing - on a cold boot it's always there, not always when rebooting. Startup repair wouldn't work and nor could it do a system restore. CMD prompt bootrec commands come back as invalid requests.

Sound like a dead drive?

I'm thinking of updating the bios, not done that for a year and a half, but I'm not sure why that would help as it was ok before I left it alone for a few months.

I guess my options are, update bios and then fresh install if that doesn't help. Beyond that I think it's still in warranty.

Is there something else obvious (other than it being a dead drive?).

The whole rig is about two years old and worked flawlessly until I left it alone for a few months. Bloody diva.

Cheers.

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

1) Does the drive itself come with a checking tool? Might be worth starting there
    2) Maybe a reinstall first and see how that fairs before trying the bios upgrade route? (I tend to shy away from doing them unless there is a reason to. Funny side story having fun trying to upgrade my x470 board bios, doesnt see the latest image as valid regardless of how I get it to the machine. Will validate the next release up from what I currently have, but that isnt high enough to support my new CPU :()

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

Thanks @nimbu
    1) it's not getting into Windows at all now so I can't run the toolbox, the most it got to was letting me enter my password (safe mode boot isn't even given as an option using a usb of W10)
    2) I've updated it a few times in the past, this MSI B450 board is a doddle for that thankfully (doesn't even need a CPU in it).

But, yeah, you could be right that way around as it had been perfectly fine for over a year on that bios.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Have you got another drive to try on the same port?

Unfortunately, it does sound like a dead drive. I'd first try the on drive another computer? Or a NVMe USB enclosure?

I've had a NVMe drive die on me, it was running 24/7 on my proxmox box. One day strange stuff was happening and upon restart, drive not found. Plugged in on my main machine confirmed the drive cannot be found. Although I hadn't considered it may still work when cold.

adidan likes this.
  5. adidan

Unfortunately no, the second m.2 is sata only and no other board to try it on.

I was thinking of getting an enclosure but I may as well spend 40 instead of 20 and get a 500Gb SN570 - they seem pretty decent for the cash.

Mind you the 1tb is better value I guess. I mean it wouldn't go to waste, I'd find a use if I can get the mp510 warranty replaced.

6. wyx087

adidan likes this.
  7. adidan

Aye, think may just get another drive, maybe an enclosure as well.

Up my Gigganibbles on the boot drive. I can test the mp510 and warranty return if needs be and then use it as a portable drive I guess.

I can find easy ways to spend money. :)

Edit: Been a bit dim, the second slot isn't sata only it's pcie2.0 nvme, the main slot is pcie3.0 or a SATA drive. First off I can try it in the pcie2.0 m.2 slot to see if it's gone bye bye.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2022
    Arboreal, IanW and wyx087 like this.
  8. adidan

Update:

Aye, no matter what the nvme wouldn't boot nor repair. It kept disappearing and reappearing.

I picked up an enclosure and it is readable so I could grab what I needed (turns out I have at least one or two copies of these anyway).

Had to pick up another drive but the SN570 seemed to be a good budget option that I managed to snag 1TB for seventy quid.

Popped in, windows installed, away she goes.

Now to see if my MP510 is still under warranty and what on earth the Corsair RMA process is like.

Anyway, just thought I'd update.

VictorianBloke, Arboreal and wyx087 like this.
  9. adidan

Update on the Corsair RMA.

Slow in response but they are responding. However, the readily available MP510 that you can buy from probably over a dozen places right now is apparently 'out of stock'....

It's either wait or accept an 'equivalent'....

I'll update.

10. wyx087

Thank you for the update, always nice to see how these things are handled by different companies.

MP510 have ended production and being replaced by newer faster MP600.
    What are the equivalent they are offering?

adidan likes this.
  11. adidan

They've not said so I'd said I'd accept an equivalent or better new alternative :happy:

Vault-Tec, Arboreal and wyx087 like this.
  12. adidan

RMA accepted. Returned delivered.

Just awaiting to see what I get back in the post :hehe:

Edit: Forgot to mention Corsair RMAs are dealt with by Scan so at least no faffing about with any customs nonsense.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2022
    wyx087 likes this.
  13. adidan

MP510 replacement arrived (was half hoping for a free upgrade but hey ho).

To be fair it may have taken a few days of email exchange but once it was sent off it was a pretty quick turnaround - I'll give Corsair and Scan their dues for that.

Nowhere for it to go now so it may just live in the enclosure that I bought and be some fast portable storage for, well I don't know what for but it'll be that.

I'll boot up in the enclosure later, looks brand spanking new so that's positive - I'll check with software later as much as I can.

Edit: Yup brand new replacement, happily living in its new enclosure home.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2022
    Vault-Tec and wyx087 like this.