1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 May 2009.

1. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

lol with the screws

all SSDs will fit in laptops as SSDs are all laptop 2.5 standared format

other note is 1.1 newer then 1275 (i asume thay just called it 1.1 to make it less confuseing) the Jumper is allso redundant in 1275 does not need to be used unless its below 1275

@Htr-Labs
    make sure you update it as well once you got it

2. Htr-Labs

Htr-Labs What's a Dremel?

-

Last edited: 19 Dec 2016
  3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Wow, the first SSD review that has actually made me seriously consider buying the drive in question. The only thing stopping me is still the damn price. That is a rediculous amount of money for 120GB, no matter how fast it is.

After reading this review, I am seriously wanting one. Everything that stopped me from buying an SSD (other than having no money!) seems to have been fixed, the performance is excellent, and even X25 toppling, and there seems to be no degradation.

Maybe over summer we will see some SSD prices drop even faster, especially if an apparently identical drive is soon to come out. Same performance at a cheaper price is great for competition. I guess we will have to wait and see, eh?

BTW, very well done on the review. Very in depth, and very interesting. It is always good seeing such an all encompassing review, covering absolutely everything the people will be looking to know.

4. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Samsung is working on Phase Change RAM (PRAM), that could boost SSD's performance 30 times over current products, woot. Can you utilise SSDs in RAID, using conventional RAID controllers?

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I don't see why not, they just "look" like standard hard drives don't they?

6. leexgx

no point in RAID with the vertex as its so fast it be better it just buy 1 (120gb for £330 or 240gb for an nice price of £630) use them as independant drive you get no perfomance useing 2 of them as on board RAID is limited to around 300MB/s any way and 1TB disk for cloneing SSD and big files

if your useing the JMicron SSD jobs its recommended to use RAID as it hide's the latency problems http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?gsk-ssd128 for 230 each (£460 for 2) use 2 of them and should be as good as the vertex but £100 cheaper but the vertex is more likey to be realable and when windows 7 comes if you use raid its unlikey windows 7 will know that its useing SSD

i seen these that seem intresting http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?CSR-SSD128 120GB for £180 (£360 as you want 2 so you get 240GB of space) and its SSD uses the samsung chip
    it comes with 128mb of cache but speeds bit low 90MB read and 70MB write (same as an norm hard disk) but as its flash should be very fast on random access as thats what makes computers slow norm, id still recommend putting them both as indepandent drives stick games on second drive)

cant seem to find reviews on it (not any one who does good reviews)

Last edited: 15 May 2009
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Been sniffing around a 60Gb one of these for my netbook. Thanks for the review! :thumb:

8. leexgx

Last edited: 15 May 2009
  9. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

isn't ssd the answer to the glut of flash production capacity that has been reported? or are these chips special in some way?maybe the high price is due to economy of scale?

10. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Yep, you can use them in notebooks just fine, the performance boost is even more amazing there obviously as you won't be comparing them to a velociraptor or two but rather one of those horribly slow notebook harddisks.
    Power consumption is not a issue, they don't even use 5W.
    There is a theory out in the wild though that it will increase power consumption of the cpu (since the rest of the computer will spend less time idle waiting for the hdd), but I don't really think it would matter enough to negate the lower power consumption of the ssd vs hdd since if you get a decent mobile cpu you are looking at below 20W anyway.

11. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

Dont think the onboard RAID is limited to 300MB/s, each disk is effectively limited to that but not the RAID controller...

In this youtube vid (2*60GB RAIDed) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go8vnZj2vb4&feature=related the guy/gal is using an ASUS P6T WS Revolution onboard raid with to get an average read speed of 417.0MB/s

12. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

was reading about that, think it was on tomshardware.com or something.

it goes along the lines of saying that as they are so much faster they get more work done in the same amount of time, so the battery effectively doesn't last as long.

guess you could compair it to running. you can run a mile in 10 mins, but if you ran twice as fast you could do 2 miles in the same amount of time, but you would be extremely knackered :)

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

^Yes, there were a few issues with Tom's hardware's testing. The tried to say the SSDs lowered battery life without mentioning that the way they were tested meant that the computers with SSDs did significantly more. I believe they retested and found that the SSDs gave a small boost.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So when are you going to test that new SLC intel SSD that's about $600?

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

confirming this

after that huge anand article on SSDs a month or 2 back i just thought **** it and bought an X-25M
    its not quite as big as that first jump from a single core to a dual core cpu but its very much in that area than going from a 2ghz core2 to a 3ghz core2 or whatever

16. leexgx

if your useing small SSDs RAID better option for cheaper drives if it is cheaper to buy two (i find it is not most of the time)

the corsair 128gb SSDs have catched my eye i can buy 2 of them for about the same price of one 128GB vertex (thay work out about as fast as norm HDDs in data rate but Write access times are fast like the vertex so the os should be super fast as its the access time is what is what kills)

17. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Performance degradation over time occurs with all SSDs, if I read Anand's article correctly; the article makes it sound like an Intel-only problem.

Also, it seems that the X-25E is missing from the HD Tach Average Write graph.

18. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

wrong direction or wrong picture.

19. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

HDD to SSD is like Single Core to Dual Core CPU, 1GB to 2GB of Memory. Since the last two are now nearly standard on all type of drive. SSD would prove to be the most important factor for Day to day operation.

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

still not worth, when the prices are half the current asking price on any of the SDD then I will consider them but for now I shall pass. What sucks is these prices dont even have to be anywhere near as high as they are but new tech comes with that oh so lovely over priced price tag, oh well SSD are the future but Im wondering how long into that future Im going to have to wait before its reasonable.

Tags: Add Tags