1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of Mice and Mats

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 May 2006.

1. Stanmanfoo

Stanmanfoo What's a Dremel?

I'll agree with what was said, that the scroll wheel is very hard to push down, but I've found the left/right scroll bindings to be very reliable and absolutely love them. So, I guess if your considering the mouse, give it a try if you are able before you buy it to see if you like it.

I don't care for the adjustable sensitivity...I get my mouse set how I'd like it and don't want to mess with it, so I just remapped them to other various functions. I also wish it had 2 thumb buttons (one above and one below the thumb) so that you could just roll your thumb up or down to press them really easily.

The adjustable weight it really cool though. I like a really heavy mouse, whereas clearly others like it light, so a nice selling point there.

Overall, very nice mouse, but not the ultimate. (for me, at least)

2. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Nice article, though I really wish you would have had some Xtrac pads on there. I love my hybrid and the Ripper XXL is in a league of its own.

3. synapse1337

synapse1337 What's a Dremel?

The best mat by far is the icemat. All of you guys that act like pro gamers and say a cloth mat is good have not tried anything else. The accuracy and smooth surface of the icemat is uncomparable. That microsoft laser mouse sounds pretty nice and would probably make a good addition.

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I've used icemats.

The icemat is an accurate surface, but it needs to be kept impeccably clean so that it doesnt grind and give off that "fingernails down a blackboard" sound+feeling.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've tried a whole bunch of pads and can say without hesitation that the icemat is the one I like least.

Steelpad is my mat of choice at the moment.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Wondered if I was the only one who'd got that.

What a pap play it was except the lifting the chair up by one leg thing.

7. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Apologies to MS - their 6000 is indeed a clicky wheel, not a rolly one. No idea why I got that the wrong way round. I blame it on the drink.

8. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I like a heavy mouse so its wireless all the way for me. have an mx1000 on my main rig and love it. two thumb buttons, good dpi, and side scroll wheel mouse. the mx700 is now on my old rig, and I bought for work an MS wireless intellimouse explorer 2, which is pretty good for spreadsheet work. As to mouse mats only use a cheep freeby mat for my main computer as the shiney white desk plays havok with optical mice.

9. quack

quack Minimodder

I got that mouse as soon as I found a store with it in stock. Apart from the odd moment when the cursor decides to take on a mind of its own, it's a fantastic mouse. It is so nice to have a mouse that actually fits your left hand properly - why oh why did it take so long?

10. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

be warned cs low sense players

I'm sorry but i totally disagree with you on the microsoft laser 6000 mouse, if you use a low sensitivty in game do not get it as fast movements make the mouse completely mess up.

i am pretty sure i posted here a when i got the mouse cause it was so annoying, i paid 30quid and it was completely unplayable, for low sense counter-strike play.

heres some proof
    http://www.blackorangejuice.com/x/setup/gaymouse.avi

thats me moving the mouse left and right really fast emulating reaction shots ingame, then i try and move fast 180 degrees and its completely messes up. its now collecting dust

11. lepre

lepre Minimodder

which surface were you using it on?
    it's too strange..call microsoft and get a replace

12. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

I see you've studied the same books as me at GCSE.

However, the book you are reminiscing about is actually "A View From The Bridge" and yes it was absolute monkey nadgers.

Anyway... I care not for mouse mats. my desk surface has been smoothed out by years of mice movements :D

13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i didn't do that damned book for gcse, they left it for the lower sets...
    i did lord of the flies, great expectations and an inspector calls

14. Idioteque

Idioteque Telephasic Mongoose

Lucky... even though I was in the highest set we got stuck with "Of Mice and Men", "Heroes" and "A View From The Bridge."

Damn them for not including any science fiction novels in English lit.! A nice bit of Asimov would've relieved the boredom.

Anyway... completely off topic now.

I'm still stuck with my nyko AirFlo mouse... I love it though... nice and sensitive (for my gaming needs anyway) and it keeps me hand cool.

15. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Ah was so long ago I'd got them mixed up :blush:

16. synapse1337

synapse1337 What's a Dremel?

I suppose if you have a dusty house the icemat might not work well but I sure think it's worth the effort keeping it clean. Sure seems better than a cloth one.

17. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I dont mind a decent trackball but when the surface permits I would much rather use a regular mouse. Still they are quite handy when you dont have the space to move a regular mouse enough.

I personally prefer the logitech mice over the other ones, they glide decent and fit my hand nicely. The razor feels too small and the ms mice dont fit as comfortably for me. The whole left handed right handed thing dosent make much sense to me, my friend has a g5 but uses his left for everything else. I guess its however you started. Nice review, the mousepads never meant much to me, I use a piece of cardboard.

18. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

The Logitech setpoint software allows you to setup five possible settings with whatever series of DPI settings you like, or at least does for my mx518, so I'm presuming it will for the later ones too.

Anyone tried the sUrface1030 archetype mat ? seems to have a lot of excellent reviews from what I can see. Of course, seems like only one place in the UK sells em and they're out of stock :lol:

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

my first mouse was a serial ball mouse, my present mouse is a microsoft intelimouse optical 1.1A, i love it, it has a whell, 2 normal butons and 2 side butons one on each side.
    and it is corded.
    i used to use the table, but i was scraching it badly so now i am using a standard mouse pad, my curent one is a smoth one palm wide rough plastic pad with a picture of a female ass wearing a "salsa" jean, its surface creates a kind of "attrition" (i think this is the word) that makes my mouse go slower across the surface.

specofdust above said he was using a teflon baking tray, can you show us pictures of it please, i it a nice ideia i wish i could use if it is ok by you.

20. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I have a DKT Megamat which is basically just an earlier generation of the same concept as the Razer mat. It'll definitely be my next mat, to go with my Razer Diamondback...

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags