1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Oldest Computer Find

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryu_ookami, 24 Jan 2009.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

I was just wondering what the oldest piece of computer software or hardware that people own is. The reason i'm asking is that I was clearing out one of the cupboards earlier and find a complete edition of Dragon Naturally Speaking Edition 1 complete with the dragon Naturally Speaking mobile recorder that it came with in the original box. was wondering if anyone had anything older that they hadn't realised that they still had until tidying up one day.

yes before you ask I was so bored that tidying up seemed like a good idea.

2. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Last year when poking through my dads stuff (cant remember why) i found a copy of windows 3.1 on floppies which im fairly sure he'll still have. That and what i later found out was a serial mouse, i found this out when i asked him what the weird connector it used was. He laughed. These are possibly the oldest computer related things ive encountered

3. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

An old Actronics Learning system from the American Heart Association :D

4. Zeroignite

Zeroignite So I decided to simulate a Universe

Not strictly a "computer", but I have a Nixie Tube frequency counter form the late 60's.

5. clownfart

clownfart Hardware Enthusiast

I got rid of all that junk. I think the oldest thing I have here, is some ATI card, or 7800 GTs.

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

486 somewhere around here.

7. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

[​IMG] Got it from a thing called free cycle, since fixed the screen and when ever i get around to it reinstalling dos. It's a Texas instruments Travelmate LT286/12 Other then that some old HP, in our networking class we have some ancient parts.

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

WE have the PCs my dad started his company on back in 1989. Because he was a startup then the PCs were about 5 years old in 1989. He has them for keepsakes on what is a thriving business.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I have an original AMD 386 with the AMD logo and an Intel copyright logo.

10. clownfart

clownfart Hardware Enthusiast

Pics? :) <3

11. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Apple IIc (1984) with a TON of working 5.25" floppy disks, external 5.25" floppy disk drive (also has an internal drive), 9" green monochrome display, and an early Apple dot matrix printer that still works and I have a spare ribbon cartridge to replace the hardly used one in it. I just need the right feed paper.

I have A LOT of Where in the World is Carmon San Diego games. Including USA edition, USA Classified edition, Europe Edition, and North Dakota Edition, but that is not working. The Europe and USA editions still have their original packaging and manuals.

Got it all for free from my school. I learned how to type on an Apple IIc when I was in 2nd grade, I'm so happy I was able to grab one of them when they were tossing them.

I also have a Mac SE with HDD in poorish condition, the screen has burn in and the case is yellowed. (1987) Mint condition Color Classic (1992).

:)

I might post pics because now I feel like playing with them! lol

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think I have a old Super Nintendo layer around here somewhere and I think it has Duck Hunter with one or two guns

13. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

Systolic Systems PC 100.

It's an external arithmatic unit that was attached to an old IBM terminal. Unfortunately we don't have the terminal anymore because it took up too much space and we didn't know that this went with the terminal before we got rid of it.

Unfortunately this is the most relevant document I could find on the device.
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=01104927

Additional references:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systolic_array

EDIT:
    Ohh, and I think the newest old software I have is a copy of OS/2 on 5.25 floppies. (with logo stickers and manuals in box)

EDIT 2:
    We have an old HP nixie tube thermometer with aluminum cased platinum resistive temperature probe on 50ish feet of shielded coaxial cable.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2009
  14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

BBC Micro with a load of floppy disks (proper 5.25" floppys, none of this newer non-floppy floppy)

15. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Boxed Commodore 64 cheesecake

Untested though... but still... :p

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Oldest HW I have is a 8800GT, I trashed /sold everything older when I moved last year.

17. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I found a 2kbps (kilo BIT per second!) modem in my grandfathers attic. His old software company used to have offices in Texas (USA) and Reading (UK); he said they rented a pair of twisted wires that ran direct from one office to the other (repeaters along the way I guess), and these 4 modems / 2 lines could provide Real Time Flight data/scrolling text on 64 screens!
    They were about the size of a Carry on hand luggage bag.

18. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I've got a ZX Spectrum 3+ 128K with the floppy drive attached.

I'm sure I've got an Acorn Electron and a Spectrum 48K up in the loft too.

Ahhh, happy memories.

19. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Pretty sure there's a 486 cpu hanging aorund here somewhere. Used to have lots of old hardware but had to bin most of it as we were going to move 6 years ago, but never bothered in the end.

20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.