1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Opinions and information on.. MG Midgets!

Discussion in 'General' started by fev, 7 Apr 2006.

1. fev

fev Industry Fallout

OK so i'm 19 and having a mid-life crisis... I want an MG Midget.
    I need to know if anyones owned one, or knows someone with one.
    What to watch out on them etc...
    just general opinions... however anyone who comes out with "duh it's old man you want a kick ass <insert french car here>" will be severly beaten with a torque wrench

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Why wouldn't you want one?
    Proper old school! :) RWD too. Soft-top. Not a bad car if you can find one. :D

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

well i was figuring.. being of the student type in Oxford, needing to comute to Wheatley 5 days a week... may as well enjoy the summer 30 minute comute some how

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I've not owned/driven/been in one but I think they're pretty cool. A lot of people have compared my car (Suzuki Cappuccino) to the MG Midget. Similar size, rear wheel drive, convertible etc. My car's fantastic fun so I say go for it!

Plus at your age if you can afford to own a daft car you may as well! You may not get another chance for a while if you start a family, buy a house or any of those other things "old" people do ;)

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

well a reasonable example is about 1500-2000 quid.. insurance is a mere 800 which is good for a 1.6 RWD

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

800 pounds you say? Bargain.
    Will have to have a look over these myself ;)

7. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

oneo f mates has got a classic oen him and is dad restored. anit seen it but he says it gud fun. Doesnt even have rack and pinon steering never mind power. or brake senoids

8. NiHiLiST

Power steering is for wimps ;)

9. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

true, reminds me of my old 84 honda accord 2 door, rallied that **** up many trails (it hauled ass with only 90hp.) :rock:

10. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

they look pretty unique but there old so the problem will be finding a good condition one and keeping it that way which could get expensive. oh and if you do get one promise you wont go all pretentious just cos drive a classic sports car. the boyfriend of a girl i used to work with drove one an mg midget and had convinced himself it was the best car in the world and would out accelerate and out perform any other car on the road.

NiHiLiST thats a cool car you have (Suzuki Cappuccino) i love the japanses Keicars. i've had my eye on a honda beat for a while now i just cant decide between a small 2 seater convertable and a larger 2 seater convertable (honda crx delsol)

11. NiHiLiST

[threadjackery]Thanks :) I was looking at a Honda Beat too. I went for the Cappuccino over it because:
    - it's faster
    - it handles better
    - it has a hard top
    - it looks better
    - it's turbocharged and so easier to increase the power
    - it's easier to slide around in when you want to
    - it doesn't have a zebra-print interior ;)

Obviously a lot of that is just my preference and the Beat is still an awesome car.[/threadjackery]

12. rick

rick What's a Dremel?

[threadjackery]
    my main reason for liking the beat is all the japanese bodykits i think they look great and you can get a hard top for the beat it just costs alot. the only problem with the beat i've seen for sale is that it has a lugage rack on the boot lid which means i'll have to get it removed to fit any kind of spoiler
    [/threadjackery]

13. fev

fev Industry Fallout

back on topic please guys

14. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

ill drag it back on topic, by saying that i have a midge. However, its a somewhat hardcore resto job, so i cant tell you how good it is on the road! :rock: i can say that if youre vaguely mechanically minded they are easy to fix! :D mine will be on the road by the summer (in satin black, red steelies and whitewalls...) and i cant wait!

a decent example is indeed about £1.5K, but bear in mind it wont really be fast, theyre more along the lines of mini driving fun. ie. incredibly low slung and great to chuck about! (but rwd)

The earlier ones are based on the 1275 a-series engine, and the latest (rubber bumpers) are the 1500 lump out of triumph spitfires. If youre getting a decent example, dont get the rubber bumpers! they were put on for the US market and frankly look horrible!

let me know if you need any tips :D

RoB

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

just wondering about throwing another lump in there.. is it viable?

16. RepLiKa

RepLiKa What's a Dremel?

My dad just mapped one with a YB cosworth engine in...

17. padair

padair Inebriated

Plus the rubber bumper models have an increased ride height :(
    I own half a 71 BGT (My brother owns the other half - it's currently undergoing a minor bit of restoration) and it's still very usable with todays driving style.

The only thing to remember if you're going for a classic as an everyday car is that the brakes, steering, windows, choke etc are not power assisted in any way. The advantage is that anybody can service it, theres no silly ecu to go wrong, and if it's still going after 20 plus years, then you won't have got a Friday car.
    Join the MG owners club - you can get discounts etc on insurance and access to people that know the cars backwards, very handy.

18. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

very true... lancaster are one of the best for MGs.

as for stuff not being power assisted, pffgh, its only a little car! the mechanics and electrics etc are about as refined as a tractor, so nice and easy!

as for chucking in a new lump, i vaguely know that its pretty do-able but thats about all!

have fun,

RoB

19. fev

fev Industry Fallout

power steering is for pussys! (Or something).. tbf ABS and traction control take the fun out of roundabouts.

20. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

exactly! whats the point of a low slung, rwd, sports car if it doesnt like you going sideways! :rock:

RoB

Tags: