1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding (OT) Modding is expensive!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KingofHearts, 12 Oct 2004.

1. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

my current mod project

Case: FREE :D
    Components: ~$500 (including lights ect...)
    Watercooling: ~$80 (DIY except blocks)
    Keyboard: $30 (including lcd)
    Mouse: $30
    Paint: $35
    Finish product: priceless :D

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i dont believe ive ever actually added up everything ive spent modding my case and on the hardware

there is a reason for that :D

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

thats why i put the about sing in front of the figures :hehe:

4. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

Alot of interesting replys here. Some great project info too. Some of you guys really know how to grab a project by the beanbag no holding back. All you guys tools are scaring me. I dont even have a dremel yet.

5. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

It took me 3 years to get my Dremel, and that didn't kept me away from modding my case and many other cases while I didn't have it. ;)

6. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

I don't have a dremel too. But i have two big Angle Grinders with cutting discs... best for old server cases made of 2mm steel.

7. TMM

TMM Modder

I use basically my whole allowance ($30AUD a week) on computers and modding. :)

For tools, i borrow my dad's. For Materials, i scab stuff from school :p

Last edited: 15 Oct 2004
  8. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

haha, I've spent easily over $4000 on my xbox's and probably close to $6000 with all my consoles (love old school video games)

Computer's I'm still working on, haven't completely built mine up yet (I've got 3 in progress)

1 - old AT full tower server jimmy jammy (got for free :clap: )
    1 - Lian Li PC 60 with SCSI (hopefully getting it for $130 fully loaded) :thumb:
    1 - Mac 65 dual 2.5 proc (free :clap: )

9. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

My new project that I HOPE to do some time is going to be costly. Water cooling components are looking somewhere in the $300 range. All the other hardware comes out to roughly $1200...plus the actual case which I'm building from scratch and all the materials I need for that (some cold cathodes methinks, and some cool power button. :p )

I'm expecting $1750 on this project in the end. Don't know where I'm going to come up with that kind of money, but taking lunch money that my parents give me sure is sounding like a good idea! $15 a week or so times 33 weeks or so of school left = ~$500. :p

10. hed420

hed420 What's a Dremel?

I've already spent about $1,300.00 on pc parts and about $300.00 on modding supplys. Including a dremal, tubes, plastic sheets, plastic rods, custom laser etched window, wire sleeving etc....

11. Daewood

Daewood What's a Dremel?

man i am so glad that my dad was a super intendent for ivory and has all the tools i could use... except a heat gun... go figure anyways i havew probably put about 3000+ into my main rig and the tag keeps going up...lol and i am new here yah me...

12. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

your lucky. my parents where never really handy with tools. so there isnt much around besides a hammer and some random screws. Just the basics at the very most. Even the screwdriver I used the other day was a pitiful sight to see. Unfortunatly the weather has really gone south fast so it will play a larger part then the tools. fortunatly there is very few things I need left to get and I can get started with the stuff I cant do inside. Just need a mask now because I will be working with fiberglass resin and something that will stop the resin from sticking to my various templates.

mode on :)

13. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

lol my dad has alot of tools, but my mom is the only one [besides me and my girlfriend] who know how to use them safely and EFFECTIVELY

14. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I generally own my own tools and made the investment for modding about 7 years ago.
    I bought the Dremel, Bi-Metal Holesaw in 60mm, 80mm and 120mm, a Step Bit (worth about $120) The Nibbler tool (worth every penny), all my soldering equipment, the heatgun, Glue Gun, Palm Sander, needle files, and finally my Rivet Gun.
    Total: $1300
    These have been accumulated over the years and well that's how you do it.
    I use alot of other tools but I usually borrow them from my older brother. Such as his Drill Press and his plastic injection molding machine.
    Get to know people who own tools until you own your own...and bug your parents for tools for X-Mas...very often dad's who are not into computers are gonna feel good about buying you tools...it's the whole homophobia thing.

15. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

you can add another $160 to my list of mods for my 6" LCD bringing it to $630 in cosmetic upgrades in this computer (including case and psu)

i also just bought an NEC LCD so thats another $500 in this damn pc of mine that is costing more than my car!!!

grr i have well over $2000 in my pc and roughtly the same in my car (DVD player and JL amp/subs actually closer to $2500) why am i so expensive for myself?!

16. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

I'm into my first mod as well, been fooling with it since May.
    I started with a $700 budget for components (mobo and such) and $100 budget for the case (pexi mostly).

I'm now into it for around $1,400. I've made many of those HD trips, each time I go in it's only for a few little things...when I come out, I've got all sorts of things I didn't know I needed :duh:

I refuse to go to HD anymore.

My company was getting rid of a lot of old hardware and I snagged most of them, an old server, old Mac clone (daystar), 2 old raid towers(scitex and cyberstorage), 12 assorted SCII based periphals (sp?) (2X and 4X CD burners and external HDs). I've found my new "junkyard" of computer components to be a great resource for modding.

Any place you can get you hands on old outdated, ready for the trash stuff?

___
    no sig yet.