1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Palmer Luckey leaves Oculus VR

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Mar 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Palmer UnLuckey?

Well, he certainly seems to have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Haven't really been keeping tabs since I've next to no interest in the current VR "boom".

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Don't you just wish him the very best of luck in all his future endeavours.

4. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Isn't it glorious to see someone face the consequences of being an utter *****?

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, about as much as a case of herpes would be.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Seems like a good example of why we need privacy online. The dude pretty much lost his job for his political views and supporting a presidential candidate.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

8. theshadow2001

...until it happens to someone you agree with or support.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Might his leaving Oculus VR have something to do with the lawsuit brought against him by ZeniMax Media? Facebook was ordered to pay $500 million in damages to the company, with $50 million being paid by Luckey himself, who was found to have violated his NDA with ZeniMax Media.

This has nothing to do with his political leanings. Meanwhile Luckey has most recently been valued at $730 million (which he earned fair and square, first developing his revolutionary VR tech from his parents' garage like any self-respecting geek does) so I'm fairly sure that he'll be OK. He'll probably now just go off and develop the next piece of game-changing tech in computer gaming,

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I doubt it;s to do with either politics or the lawsuit (though the lawsuit could have dragged things out), more that there isn't really a role for Palmer anymore. He's a garage hardware-hacker, which was perfect for the proof-of-concept and getting the first iteration going on the cheap with CoTS parts, but for a finished product you have actual hardware and product engineers doing the same job but better. The Rift is out, his pet project Touch is out, so either he stays there making prototypes that will likly never see the light of day, or leaves to pursue those prototypes. He has the funding to spin out a startup, and the reputation for picking good ideas to attract investment.

11. theshadow2001

Firstly no one cares about Palmer or what happens to him and my post was not based in concern for him.

Law suits are a facet of business and chances are without his prior work, there wouldn't be an Occulus to invest in. Gareths article indicates that it was his coming out as this Reddit alter-ego and the subsequent reaction of businesses Facebook are relying on to generate IP to sell Rifts that appears to have forced his resignation.

Meanwhile, big corporations are pulling out of advertising with Youtube and Google in general because they don't want even the chance of their business being associated with something they would consider unsavoury or something that would reflect poorly on their business. Businesses appear to be more scared of bad PR than anything else. Given the nature of Palmer's political leanings I'm sure the last thing Facebook wants for Occulus is to become embroiled in some sort of Gamergate-esque SJW led controversy.

12. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

All this technology and communications, people still haven't learnt to keep there mouths shut.