1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits PC Audio 101

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Sep 2007.

1. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

Did anyone read my post? Hehe

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

No, I had missed it. Thanks for calling my attention to it; I agree with everything you said (which would explain why I posted soon after with more or less the same statements).

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

reading the marketing blurb of any company, be it hi-fi cables, computer components, cars etc is easy to pick at (though hi-fi components probably have the most comical blurbs). As a whole, they tend to have a lot of words that don't actually mean anything. Basing any purchase on market-speak is a bad move. I don't care why they think their cables sound great, I just care that out of the couple dozen I tried in my system, they sounded the best (and were nigh on the cheapest as well, which is always a winner) :thumb:

Claiming that X Y and Z can't make a difference is just the same as demnding that the difference is massive. If you think that garden variety copper cables are best, use those. If someone else thinks that they need to spend $1k/foot on cables, leave them to it.

MaximumShow - I read your post, I just think you're wrong ;)

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

sorry about resurrecting this thread, but i just tried ripping a disk to flac as i could hear popping in mp3s after buying the sehnnhesier omx70s, but im also hearing it in the flac does that mean its the headphones? sound card is a realtek hd but with the mp3s i also hear them on my sansa e280. have to say the flac is hell of alot better (40 mb common for a flac song?)

5. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Holy Thread Revival Batman!

I know, I know, it's an oldie but a goodie.

Anyways, I just found this article that goes quite nicely with Joshua's rather excellent beginners guide:

http://xs.vc/eac/index.html

The article is compiled using knowledge learned from members of the hydrogen audio forums. It gives you some great advice on setting up EAC and FLAC, covering many of the caveats not included here. I've found it very useful indeed and thought it would be nice to pass on the info.

A quick thanks to Joshua again for getting me on the FLAC train, I haven't looked back :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags