1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Petition launched to save XP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2008.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You should try Vista...
    You have no idea how much new features there is in Vista. And interesting things you can do with it to increase your productivity, and stop searching for your apps, delete/cut/move/etc... a group of files, and more.

They are small features, that are not worth marketing for, but when you add them all up, it makes Vista very interesting.I recommend using the 64-bit Vista, as it seams to lack of a LOT of bugs reported, including the lack of network issues.

On yo your second point. There is nothing revolutionary in Mac OS X. Most things were stolen from Longhorn, and even THEN these are just little features... including instant search. That is NOT revolutionary. What is revolutionary can only be found in some movie... Minority Report? And that is not going to work, as it would be too different, and people won't adopt it.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2008
  2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've never understood why desktop search is a big deal. The only time I've ever used it is when trying to find all the .dlls for a driver install. Otherwise I remember where I put stuff on the hard drive. Or is it just me?

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

nah, its not just you, organizing files so you can find them Cheesecake.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Code:
    find / -name=*filenamehere*  
    job done... i don't get it either!

5. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Oh stop banging the MS drum! It's hurting my ears. (Faintly heard "Come and join us, come and join us" in the style of Ken Dodd :) )

Face it, MS didn't innovate, they copied, just like they have done all along. How you expect me to believe that an OS can "increase productivity" is beyond me. Factor in the relearning of the interface and the increased processor overhead, the playing around with the, frankly, useless Aero interface, and you have a productivity drop, not an increase.

In my personal experience, I have only met one person who likes Vista, and then only because they use FSX and can see an improvement over FS2004 on XP.

As with all things though, you use what you like. I like Linux (although I have to use Windows in work, but that is changing:D) I find ti works well for me. Most people like XP, some like Vista. It all depends on what you like and what you prefer to use.

Andy

Feel free to flame away, I like a frank and open discussion.:thumb:

Oh, and this isn't a personal attack on you, Goodbytes, it is for every $OS fanboi out there who thinks that $OS is the dogs dangly bits and doesn't care about anything else.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Meh, Microsoft have a monopolized market with operating systems, they can choose to start or stop OSes as and when they want because what alternatives does the mainstream user have? Mac - sure people are hearing of it more but it's unfamiliar to the person who's spent over a decade using XP. Linux - even less familiar and more scary because of the way it's portrayed in the media.

But neither have the killing blow to Microsofts DirectX, so people who play PC games will never be able to fully leave Windows.

7. Shielder

8. DougEdey

Nowhere near as widely used as directX. DirectX is almost exclusively what they teach here in the games programming courses.

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

OpenGL isnt used for games (for some reason beyond me, probably because its more difficult to program)

But its very popular in the professional market (which, as far as i know, doesnt use D3D)

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Isn't DirectX a complete 'suite' which handles audio and the likes, while OpenGL just does graphics?

11. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

DirectX = D3D, DirectInput, DirectAudio and some other bits i believe

12. DougEdey

Yes it is, hence why there's nothing to compete against it.

13. Shielder

I play IL2 using OpenGL...

Tags: Add Tags