1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Oh right i missed that! :doh:

Some more Constructivism:
    - Make sure to include a little more space for big graphics cards. it looks slightly craped at the moment.
    - Include a way to reach the bottom compartment easily from both sides, or installing all the cables will be hell!

2. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Thanks, I will be sure to do both! I am working on modeling a 5970 to make sure it will fit :worried:

I want to keep it as compact as possible (to keep it a Mid tower as opposed to a full).

@Mudgey- What software are you using?

Last edited: 2 Nov 2010
  3. kyeboy7

kyeboy7 What's a Dremel?

I started sketching up something I have had an idea for, let me know what you think

[​IMG]

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

That looks great! I don't know why case manufacturers haven't thought about having the rad on its side like that - so much better than drawing warm air from the case! Don't suppose you fancy making it a quad in the roof do you? :D

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The Silverstone TJ07 and the LianLi V2000 are basically made to have the rads assembled like this, so I wouldn't say that there's no cases available ;)

To make room for a Quad in the top there I just have to add some 30 or 40mm in depth all around.
    Maybe I'll opt for it and make the case totally sqaure at 560x560 :hehe:

7. Combatus

:D

I know, I have a V2000, (got a 3 x 120mm and 4 x 120mm in the base!) unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available any more and the TJ07 is really old - I meant that with a little tweaking, so many more cases could be made to be much better for water cooling:D

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  9. Combatus

:rock::jawdrop::rock:

Tell you what might work even better - one 4x120 at the top with 3.5in mounts up there instead of the second rad - you probably wouldn't want two up there for reasons Xtrafresh mentioned a few posts back. You could then maybe look at having a rad in the front fan mounts or on its side if you moved the pumps a bit.

10. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

roboduck - i like where your going with that, maybe you could work on making a souround for the rads so they are only exposed to fresh air and no warm air is pushed in the case?

11. Combatus

^^That!

12. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Okay, here we go. :) I got the basic layout done. Models are a bit rough at the moment since I don´t have models ready. (Does anyone know where to find gpu models etc. for SolidWorks?)

There will be quad + dual 120mm radiators and PSU in the bottom chamber. HDD´s and SSD´s are behind the motherboard tray. Going to be designed for positive air pressure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come.. Any criticism/ideas?

13. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

@Nitrix&Combatus- Will do! Ive never built a WC system before so feedback is appreciated!

@Zesti- I like it, very clean. My only thought is those HDDs are going to get hot without any airflow. Maybe some small 40mm-60mm fans blowing cool air behind the mobo tray?

14. XS_Rise

XS_Rise What's a Dremel?

My Entry, a horizontal mobo, dual loop mid-sized case. The radiator buldges have room for a shroud between the fans and the rad. The tube resevoirs on top would be held with IanH-style res clamps and the front tini fans would probably be taken out... I did a little over-accessorizing :blush:

Front:
    [​IMG]

Exploded:
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

15. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Okaaay I am working on something now since I got convinced by someone on YouTube to take part. Will be full tower, with 2X quad 120mm rad and 2X 140mm rad support. and the other stuff. I'm going offf board, but a very easy case to make. this is going to be awesome.

16. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Actually, yes. The pump I was looking at putting in behind the PSU, which is why the tubes from the rads are headed that way (I hate doing tubing in Sketchup, so it's only on one side, probably why you can't see it). The reservoir will go either on the back wall next to the motherboard, or on the underside of the roof. Here's a reverse view, so you can see where the rad tubing is going (Though there's no pump there yet) and the space intended for the res.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, you could easily use it for a copy station. :) And the weird shape at the bottom is to fit 2 480 rads, 4 120mm fans, and 6 HDDs in-between. I thought that 30cm (12") wide was a bit much for the whole case, so I narrowed the upper section. The 30 degree angle I used also gave some space to run the tubing from the rads (And the cabling from the HDDs, which isn't shown). It also means there's a nice sturdy base for the case to sit on, making it less likely to be kicked over (Not that there's much danger of that really, but there you go).
    Oh, and here's a front view, so you can see where those visible 3.5" drive bays are. The space in-between is perfect for Power/HDD lights, and the two circles there (Above the floppy drives and next to the bottom DVD) are for power/reset.
    [​IMG]

17. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

[​IMG]

240 rad at the front, possibility to have 2x360 rad at the bottom, or psu + plenty of hard drives and some 5.25 bays. if the bottom part is taken by the rads, the psu and all the other things goes in the top part.
    I'll make 3 version of this case, one with with a 240+360 and no extra part at the top.
    one with a 240+2x360 rads with the part of the top for psu and hdds,etc.
    and one with a phase change unit, 240+360 rad. :)

18. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm just going by the rules, which tell me that I can't do away with a second rad or lower the amount of 5.1/4"-bays etc....

So there's no possibility to move the second rad into the front without breaking the rule of 4x 5.1/4"-bay + 4x 3.5" HDDs... Just sayin' ;)

---

As I understand it, every case that doesn't have the minimum required features listed there is automatically disqualified, or these features shouldn't be listed there at all, making it a open competition.

20. asura

asura jack of all trades

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.