1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PlayStation 3 'unlikely to break even'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

This console generation hasn't really interested me. I own a Wii which I got as a present and I'd like to own the other consoles but really only to play Little Big Planet on the PS3 and Fable 2 on the 360 so it isn't worth it.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Consoles don't really interest me either, even tho I do own a Wii (well my brother does).

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Oct 2008
  4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I mostly use my PS3 for playing media or bluray but some casual gaming is great now and again...

5. Deadwolf

Deadwolf What's a Dremel?

Perhaps if Sony quit blowing deals with their game makers and got some exclusives only to PS3, they might make a profit.. Why would you spent $600 for a PS3, when you can get an Xbox for $199 and play the same games.. just no blue ray.

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Check your figures - it's only $400 for a brand new 80GB PS3 vs $260 for a 20GB X360 ($300 for a 60GB) (prices from amazon.com). Still a difference, but nothing like you suggest. And for your money you get a much better built machine that doesn't sound like a harrier taking off, that includes Blu-Ray, and that doesn't charge a subscription to play online.

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I will be getting a PS3 in the future when I can afford a screen to do it justice. I think that they will break even, just. But since they will undoubtedly be using the cell in the PS4 the research costs for the chip will be regained. So by this logic if you attribute half the research cost to the PS3 it just comes down to reducing the cost of the Blu-ray drive and reducing the cost of manufacturing of the cell chip.

8. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

That and you dont have to deal with people on xbox live.

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Don't go there man. Stop comparing oranges to apples here.

10. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

I got a Sony BDP350 Blu-Ray player for £130 the other day... so you can "just" about get a Blu-Ray player and a 360 for less than a PS3 ;)

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you realize you dont need a 40"+ screen to notice HD like so many people suggest?

you got an fairly new lcd computer monitor? use hdmi>dvi adpater and youre good to go.

people dont know what they are talking about when they say you cant notice the difference under 40" or so.

but you are right, the PS4 will do much better profit wise. Im sure they will use the Cell chip again along with BluRay. PS3 has caused the manufacturing costs of those to go down so when PS4 comes out it wont sell for a loss as long as the PS3 will.

Very true. The average player age on PS3 is quite a bit higher as its more expensive so that means very few 12 years screaming into the mic trying to hit on older men pretending to be girls. :lol:

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Is it FW upgradeable? Also, what SKU of 360?

13. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

As a business student I don't see how the PS3 and Xbox 360 are 'apples and oranges' - they're very much direct competitors in the sense that they both target the same customer - console gamers. They each have their unique selling perspectives but as it stands for those who would have either/or but just want any console that plays good games, they're probably going to go (and with good reason considering the cost and range of games etc.) with the xbox 360.

The thing with the PS3 though is it has a submarket of customers who buy specifically for the bluray compatibility which obviously the xbox doesn't have, so if you factor that in the cost may not be so significantly higher than the xbox for the utility you get - but to the core market that makes little difference, they'll get the best bang for buck and console gamers are generally more concerned about games than bluray.

My 2p.

14. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

It's a profile 2.0 blu-ray player with a network jack, upgradable over the internet and usb port for storage. Frickin bargain actually. Probably the 60GB of the 360. I've seen that for £140

.. that blu-ray player is £170 normally, there was a 'one day only' deal at Lasksy for £130.

But it's still possible to spend less than a PS3 and get all those features.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You have to take into account though that the PS3 was a massive part of BR winning the format wars, so you can't really judge it on it's own, it's more accurate really to look at whether Sony will break even on the PS3 and BR combined, which I'm sure they will. From what I've read, game sales have never been higher and continue to rise, mainly because people see more value in buying a game than going to the cinema or whatever because you can keep on playing it or trade it in for a new game.

16. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

I own a ps3 i bought it last year cost 280 quid for a 40gb one around that time say an xbox 360 cost 160-170. True you get a console that was 110 quid cheaper, but then factor in that 3 years worth of xbox live costs about that much.
    So if you offline game you save.

It's a hidden charge almost. and if you have xbox live access for 7 years (the approximate lifespan of the console) that's another 245 quid subscription at least 245 + 170 = 415

17. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't use xbox live anyway if I had a 360. Online gaming has always been a better experience for me on the PC. I used to think counter strike players were bad before I got live for the original xbox and played some halo 2.

(PS: I am still of the firm belief that most counter strike players have the average IQ of half a brick)

18. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

The income they'll make from Blue Ray sales will far exceed their debt, after all, you don't have to make money off what you spent it on! The Ps3 was a format war soildier first and consol second, atleast to the bigwigs

19. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Turismo 5 will win some hearts. Not many. But it would be evidence to demolish the suggestion that nobody buys a game console for one game/franchise--as if Metal Gear Solid 4 wasn't enough of an example.

20. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip What's a Dremel?

if it ever comes out,

i used ot be adie hard playstation fan ive had allgeneration of the last 2, and the PSP, but im so dissapointed with their putting gamesback i've given up, mainly Gran Turismo portable, that was supposed ot be released about a month after PSP origional launch, and then got shelved for GT5 and now rumoured to be back on after GT5 which IIRC is massivly delayed.

i bought a Wii only to keep my G/F happy i honestly thought it was a "gimmick" but now ive got some games that relly captued me and the controls feel natural, i would like a 360, but im not a big fan of FPS (i know there are other games)and the only game that really looksgood is Forza 2, and i cant wait for Forza 3, i may by a 360 then

Tags: Add Tags