1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Please stop moaning about the price of games.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 11 Mar 2016.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

True but i get the felling people don't look at that as improving on anywhere near the same ratio as they used to, generally speaking, it's like the early days of CPUs when big gains were to be had versus a more mature industry where what we consider big gains are harder to come by.

It's just my perception that major advances seem to be harder to come by the more mature an industry or market becomes.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well according to Intel we're actually going to go backwards now in terms of performance.

Hah ! that'll sort out devs :D

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

For me I don't usually have a problem with price, I can pick up most games fairly quickly after launch for £25~ from key sites. I have a huge backlog of steam games I'm working through during those waiting times. I've dropped £20 - £30 on games kickstarters where I might not get anything for a year or two.

The only price complaint for me comes from the big publishers/developers and franchise titles. These regularly release for a premium price, in an unfinished state and release date DLC - which when you account for inflation, bah who am I kidding, it used to be free in an update or £5-10 as an add-on. I'm also a father, with two gaming PC's and I can't justify £100-£150 buying two copies of these games. I give EA / Ubisoft / Activision titles a pass on release as they seem to release style over substance games a lot of the time.

While you can take inflation into account on prices, the market was a lot smaller back then, both in customers and games. People would play a game to death, most kids with consoles might only have 5-10 games when the next console was released, I know I was one of the few with 20-30 games on my consoles.

4. Half-Saint

Half-Saint What's a Dremel?

What the article is not taking into account is the fact that most games in 1996 were still released in cardboard boxes. Nowadays you often only get downloadable content for the same bloody price! So the publishers should be making more money since they don't spend a dime on printing the actual books and stuff but charge the same as 20 years ago.

5. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

What must be taken into account is the effect of inflation. Take £20 in 1996. That is £34.35 in current prices.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

What you cannot do is simply compare prices without adjusting for inflation. Of course if you think something is too costly, then don't buy it.

6. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Why would you buy Battlefront and then 2 season passes though?

7. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I enjoy complaining

Tags: Add Tags