1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Portable dual-core Atom chip due?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

To be honest, they should do both. :D

3. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Huh? My 1.5 year old Dell Mini 10 has a dual core Atom. Unless I'm misinterpreting the article...

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Reading the article it suggests that you have the desktop version of the Atom, not a mobile specific chip.

5. horse

horse What's a Dremel?

Probably more likely that it's the single core part with hyperthreading enabled

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'd be more impressed if they'd finally design a chipset that does not belt out at least 4 times the Watts that the Atom does. Kind of misses the point.

7. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

That doesn't make sense as all the netbook atoms I've seen already support hyper-threading.

8. horse

horse What's a Dremel?

that was my point, the mini 10 was only available with the single core part which will show two logical cores under Windows task manager

9. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I guess you guys are right, it's a single core CPU with hyperthreading. It's a Z530. wiki says HT single core.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

dual core as opposed to single core with hyper threading, i have built a couple of dual core atom machines, with the atom 330, which shows as a quad core in windows.

11. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I game, on my Ion, 270HT netbook. The Witcher, Medieval 2 Total war, KOTOR, TDU, Oblivion, GTA:SA, Far Cry, Stalker teh lot.

I have the 270 OC'd to 2.23Ghz with a custom bios
    ANd the ION oc'd from core/shader 450/900 to 550/1207

Runs like a dream XD

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I wouldn't want an Atom anywhere near any hardware I own, dual core, laptop or otherwise. They just suck too much.

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

They need faster at the current power draw. Thats the problem with the portable market as a whole, a decent laptop is far from portable. I love my net book since I can carry it to uni, get 6hours+ battery life out of it but come bbc iplayer and it gets noticable frames dropped. 1gb ram doesnt help either. The current atom has hit the web browsing on the go market portion perfectly (mobile phones are pathetic for browsing tbh) The next stage should be low power 15" laptops in the £400-£500 range. A "netbook" with a 15" screen size would be perfect rather than the current breed in that range. Ultimately tho, those users need a slightly beefier processor and 2gb+ ram if thats to work. Quad core atom anyone?

On a side note, isn't the chipset a larger power drain than the processor itself? Surely that would be the best place to focus?

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

a dual core atom with hyper threading showing 4 cores, with the ability of HD playback would be very nice and make for an awesome portable media like center. ^_^

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

A dual core Atom would be quite useful, but at this rate the problem is that Atoms are simply still too weak.

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Since Atom clearly targets VIA's CPU niche, does anyone else think Atom was, at least partly, an attempt to kill VIA?

(Perhaps also killing a potential VIA / Nvidia partnership)

Tags: Add Tags