1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 17" Hot Wheel

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gaoske, 7 Jan 2006.

1. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Here the Discussion Thread of:

[​IMG]
    ...Clickable...

Enjoy...

Please give away a rating....

Last edited: 30 May 2006
  2. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Project 17" Hot Wheel (last Update: May 30)

First of all I'm competing as wel in the AC-Ryan competition :naughty:

[​IMG]

Dear modders Bit-tech!!

Allthough I didn't yet finish Project TT quattro, I got a brilliant idea for a new mod. I searched all forums and didn't find anything like it, YET!!! I couldn't wait for my other mod to be finished so I went to my garage to get me some moddingstuff...

If someone here does know I mod like this, please let me know where to find it, it MUST be original so I don't want to make something that looks like something that was already made.

The mod started on another forum where I read a topic about a pc in an subwoofer case. In the topic the size was discussed and with seeing 15", combined with my love for nice cars, audi in particular, I directly thought of a RIM. This had to be my next mod!!!!

So I got myself a 17" Audi rim. It has some ugly places on it but the size and model were perfect. Together with the RIM-SPRAYpaint I still had slieing around, I could make myself something beautifull!
    Here the rim:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The plan was the following:

Backpanel for mobo.
    The mobo will be mounted to the left, to the right the PSU, a.k.a. brakesystem.
    In front of the bottom of the mobo the HDD's will be mounted.
    PSU will be painted RED.
    The "brakedisc" will be a plexi disc with an UV red ACRyan 120mm LEDfan in the middle.
    The disc will be frosted over the outside circle and hles wille be drilled in it as well
    The brakesystem will be made very realistic with Brembo on it.
    Cables will be mounted completely blind. Were visible they will probably go black or alucolor.
    Rim repainting.

I started on the backpanel. Lucky as I am, (I think I mentioned once before) I worked at a DIY-shop. I went there for the wood for the backpanel and made it the size I wanted: round with a radius of 21,5cm :D .
    Result: [​IMG] With an old PSU housing for size indication [​IMG]

If that isn't rOund, I don't know anymore... I used a [DUTCHMODE]lint[/DUTCH]saw and mounted a piece of 9mm MDF with one screw exactly 21,5cm left from the saw, threw the middle of the panel. Result if you turn the piece of MDF: a perfectly round backpanel that fits my rim.

Then I started marking the size of the mobo on the panel to make sure everything is going to fit in the rim. I made a HDD and a PSU to try out which ways everything would fit. I got an old broken mobo from my HW supplier so I would be sure not to ruin mine.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The brakedisc will be mounted to the inside of the rim. It will cover a large part of the mobo but it also makes the space inside the rim for HDD a lot smaller. Without the brakedisc I would have 4 cm's more in depth, which means a lot more options for the HDD's

The disc on the backpanel with the other stuff
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The disc on the inside of the rim. The disc will be mounted threw the original mountingholes of the rim to make sure its axactly in the middle of the wheel. There will be some rivets between the disc and the bolts though.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the rim standing in front of my window. It's still pretty clean for a used rim :cooldude:
    [​IMG]

The actual place of the HDD's changed already, pics of that lateron...

Here the discussion thread

Last edited: 30 May 2006
  3. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

Hello, looks pretty cool, never seen a mod like this before in a RIM;D
    Think this can be a good mod, but you have to get it quite clean, since its so open all around. But with some sleeves and ties it will work!;)

Question: What do you have in mind for the look? Do you have a sketch of all. And the disc, what is it for?

God luck!

Dj Ovin

4. skeletor

skeletor modder in the making.

looks great, can't say i have ever seen a rim for a case. i have seen them used for chairs tables, desks, lamps and such, but never a computer case, lol.

-dj ovin- you mean the disk there to simulate as a disk brake would look. my guess is he wants it to almost look like its supposed to be on a car still. although for that he would need to put a tire on it :p

5. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

I thought it would be quite obvious but I got a question anyway...
    The disc is to make it look like a wheel when it's still on a car. The brakedisc is than visible and therefore I want to make one as well. It's going to look a little like this:
    [​IMG]

When I have the LEDS where I want them It should look something like this:
    [​IMG]

I hope this makes it a little more clear...

now you mention it, I do have a 17" tire lieing around here somewhere... :rock:

6. skeletor

skeletor modder in the making.

heh that would really add to the "realness" you will have to make some sort of stand though, to make sure it doesn't roll, unless your gonna lay it down.

subscribed to the project log. lookin forward to seeing how this comes out.

7. customh

customh conflagration.

ITs a sweet idea, and if you can get that look this should turn out to be a pretty sweet looking rig. Why not mount 2 HDD's next to each other, look more like a brake cyl.

8. Dj Ovin

Dj Ovin What's a Dremel?

@Skeletor: Okey, i get the point;) My first thougt was that it would look like a brakdisc;)

9. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

The brake cilinder will be made, don's worry :hip: .

I will mount the PSU at the right. just in front of the PSU the disc will be and with somekind of standard the cilinders on the outside will be mounted in front of the disc. Th HDD's have found there place in front of the PCI-slots. I cannot mount them vertically because they are quite old and always used in the standard direction: horizontally. I've really no money at all at the moment to buy new HDD's for this project.

The wheel will (hopefully) be mounted to a wall, @ eye hight or a little under that. It will be above my TV and yes my walls can handle that as they also can resist my head: :wallbash: :p .

Gaoske

10. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

What phone did you make the pics with mate? Good to see another dutchman working on a brand new project on an international forum! :thumb:

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Wow, interesting mod :D

12. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

I love your idea! Looks great so far! :thumb: ;)

13. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

I used a Nokia 6230i for the pics. maybe there are some 8800 pics as well, I'm not sure. THNX for all the positive comments and please let me know if I wasn't nr 1 to do something like this, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. If this was done before I want to make sure mine is different on several levels.

Hope to make some pics from the HDD mounting asap (read today ;) )

Gaoske over and out

14. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Well, a little late but better late than sorry.
    As it was TOO good to be true, I found another Rim-mod :waah: . It was in a dutch magazin about computer hardware. And as the world has started pimping everything for advertising, this magazin searches PC shops that want to pimp a PC without charging the PC-owner for it. The shop gets 2 pages of free publicity in the magazin.

The tim I found luckily is a lot different than mine. To start they just ruined the rim to make the mobo come out at 1 side. The I/O and mobo are mounted on a normal mobo-tray from an old case. This tray was just put into one side of the rim were they made a huge whole in the rim. Not for me :D . Everything will INSIDE the rim, or it won't be in @ all...

On with MY mod.
    Got some pics of the HDD mounting and the mobo mounting. To start with the mobo I took an old mobo (on the pics of the first post) put it in place on the round panel of MDF and started drilling 2 wholes. I put a lot of pressure on the mobo to not move it. As my MDF had a toplayer of pre-primer, it was very slippery and I was afraid my drill would start dansing a littel before the real cutting. With drilling through the holes of the mob already, the drill would not be able to dance away.
    After mounting it on two places, the outher four holes were easily made. I got meself some screws that are to be mounted with some hexa-tool (can't find the name in my dictionary :duh: ). They go threw the wood and are mounted with spacers that also figure as bolts. On top I put the mobo that I mounted with bolts with a little extra cap.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The only place left for the HDD's was just in front of the mobo. This would mean they would be connected to just one side. If the metal they are connected to is stiff enough though, it would be a problem. Besides, the rim won't be replaced @ all, or it should be for a modding contest :p .
    I took some metal plates, prebended in 90 degrees, and bended them another 90 degrees. The holes weren't aligned straight, which was perfect for me while the cables are more easily connected now. There won't be a CD player or FDD in this case whil it will just work as a backup place for films in my house for all my roommates.
    The metal plates were not easy to bend, which makes them stiff enough to mount my drives with. I put them a little under the mobo but made sure they would never touch the mobo. I even want to have the possibility to change hardware, so I want to have place for ATX as well as mATX.

The HDD mounting:

The next will be the PSU. I will mount it right from the mobo and it will be connected to a mounting plate on the BACK of the MDF backpanel. This way I will win exactly 9 millimeters I need :hip: . I still need to make the hole and probably need another PSU as the rig reboots when it arrives in Windows. I will chose a normal size which will always fit, so I can replace verything I like...

Photo's will be up and running somewhere next week I think.

Over and modding again... Gaoske

15. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Update jan 14

oops, double post....

Last edited: 19 Jan 2006
  16. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Update in the projectlog.... Commentz and criticism pleaz ...

17. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Good evening modders!!

Changed my pics to a little larger size, makes it a bit more intersting to watch. And I made my own avater, doesn't it look brilliant with my mod :D .

I took some better pics of my rim. This is it lieing in the afternoonsun.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is what I made today. Because I didn't have this
    [​IMG]

to make holes, I used this
    [​IMG]

I know it's not ment for it and I know it's will smell awfull, like burning wood, but it was my only option.

I cut a hole into the backplate of the case. It isnt'very neat but that doesn't really matter as the sides of the hole will be made neat later on before the painting.
    I really like the bunnys on my bed :D . Too bad there aren't any inside it, next to me, nice and warm...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As I pushed in the PSU, I found out the hole was really TOO perfect. Better than I expected from my work with my PROF tools ;) . Here you can see it fits so perfectly I don't even need to mount the PSU with any screws or whatever. I will put plate behind it, just to be sure...
    The PSU will be in this hole because I needed 1 more centimeter for the mounting of my PSU. It will be mounted to the back of the backplate with some plate like this (pic 4).

18. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Update....

19. JamesM

JamesM What's a Dremel?

Crap, what a great idea! I've got loads of spare rims laying around too. Can't wait to see more of this :D

20. Gaoske

Gaoske What's a Dremel?

Drilling a disc...

Continued some modding this weekend. Tried to make a real brakedisc out of a plexi circle.
    First I made a 3D model of the disc in Solid Works. Drawed the holes in it as well and printed in out. This was the result.
    [​IMG]

First took another piece of the same plexi and tried to drill a hole or two. My idea was to first drill the holes of 2,5mm, lateron I would enlarge them to 5,5mm. I tried this on the other piece of plexi, didn't go too well. Than I tried to enlarge the holes drilling counterclockwise, which resulted in melting up the hole a little. It worked perfect and I started on the holes in the defenite disc. I put my plexi disc over the printed model and drilled "some" holes :dremel: . Started with the total inner circle, this way I could easily turn the disc lateron to drill the holes to the outside of the disc as well by turning the disc over the model.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I wanted to start drilling the holes with 5,5 but forgot to change the direction of the drill :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Luckily it was a hole on the inside of the circle. This means I can enlarge the mounting disc that will be on this disc over the broken part. I continued drilling all the other holes anyway because I also wanted to know how much time it would take to drill averything. Result was quite good although it had that ugly hole.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Note my 8800 charger on the disc to keep it from falling ;)
    [​IMG]