1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Blacklight Demons (plexi fulltower)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [WP@]WOLVERINE, 11 Dec 2003.

1. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Hi there all modders!!
    I would now like to share a bit of modding with yall.
    This project is mainly about improving my Sunbeam plexi case. First of all its way to small for my needs i currently have seven harddrives and there is more to come so i need SPACE! J
    So the idea is to transform the rather small Sunbeam in to a 76cm fulltower with 13 internal 3,5 slots and redesign the totally useless mainboard fitting. And add some additional 80mm fans. Since this is my first real casebuild i hope i dont screw up J
    heres a list of things to be done

1. To make new sides,front and back cover in 8mm acrylicsheet. and add 1 extra 80mm fan to both front and rear.
    2. Make some kind of cover for the cd and fancontrollers so they wont be visible
    3. Redesigning the mainboard fittig so that i dont have to remove the mainboard in order to remove the sidepanel
    4.Adding a whole bunch of 3,5 slots and increasing the space between them (they are to tight together in the original case) for better airflow
    5.to give the whole case abit of an evil look with some engraved demons here and there :D
    6.Tidy up all those annoying cables

here you can see the victim of this mod.
    http://galleri.sweclockers.com/galleri_visa.php?chassi_id=385

So now its time to start. The sheets of acrylicglass arrived as they should and i was kinda shocked when i saw how big the case would get. On paper 76cm didnt sound that big but IRL the case looks huge J

[​IMG]

I put the pieces together with some tape just to get a feel for the size of this beast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started out with the front panel. I went out and got myself a adjustable holesaw that was supposed to be specially made for cutting plastics. I must say that i thought it looked a bit wierd but it worked amazingly good. And at 79:- sek it was a bargain J

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then some tape,measuring and drawing and im ready to go.

[​IMG]

Drilling,cutting,sanding,sweating!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After about 2 hours of wery careful drilling,cutting and sanding this is what i got.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was quite happy with the way it turned out.

And then on to the back! Once again som tape,measuring and drawing was requiered

[​IMG]

And heres the Front and Back all done
    [​IMG]

The sides was just a straigtforward saw job so ill go right on to some pictures of the case put together with som tape just to get a look at how things are coming along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And som shots of the details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Feb 2007
  2. [WP@]WOLVERINE

And now on to the bits for the harddrives and cd. to get 13 harddrives mounted there needed to be A LOT of holes it took a while to measure and draw the lines for all those hd monts but what can ya do J

[​IMG]

OMFG!! 192 holes to drill !!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After all that drilling on to some sanding
    [​IMG]
    Now the hour was late and i couldnt use powertools because the neighbours would go nuts so i started to sketch a bit on the
    artwork this will be engraved into the sides and front of the case. All motives will be filled in with transparent uv sesitive paint so when i switch on my ccd the demons will glow :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When i was happy with how the sides looked i had to assemble the case once more just to get a good look at how it would look. Thats one Evil case duude!! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is all that ive had time to do yet. More pictures will come as i go along. I hope youve enjoyed this log so far because theres more to come. So until next time…

Last edited: 13 Feb 2007
  3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

:eeek: How many HDDs? Nuts.

4. [WP@]WOLVERINE

As i said i currently have 7 drives but the plan is to add 4x250gigs in a not so distant future. thats why i began this project

Some people collect stamps i collect gigabytes :eek: :D

5. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

It's fantastic, made of plastic...

If you have any left over plexi... fax me a few sheets! That is huge! how are you going to hook up your hdds?
    Sorry, a bit of a n00b here! but the grafx look schweet!

6. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

SWEET!!! SWEET!!! SWEET!!!

Cant wait to see this beast glow!

Love the crafting, excellent attention and thought!

7. Krewten®

Krewten® What's a Dremel?

Looking forward too the end result :rock:

8. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

How did you get those graphics on the plexi? It looks too neat to be traced free-hand...

9. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Re: It's fantastic, made of plastic...

Im using 2xPromise Uata controller cards that give me 6 ide channels to play around with. And i had to make some longer powercables because the original ones were a bit to short :) My original thought was to mount the psu unit at the very top of the case but the atx cable didnt reach the mainboard And as i am a lazy sod who didnt have the energy to lenghten the atx cable to i monuted it a little closer to the mb. :D

ps
    all the leftover plexi is already faxed to someone else (sorry ) :D

And as for the pictures on the case they were hand drawn freehand using an image on my screen as a template i would hav got a better result if i had a printed version to work with but the inkcartridge in my printer was empty :/

10. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Re: Re: It's fantastic, made of plastic...

Those are freehand!? Dang man, I don't even think that I could do that well tracing! Nice!

11. HardModd

HardModd What's a Dremel?

SWEEET ! :clap: :clap:

12. metalgod

metalgod What's a Dremel?

insane project, great thus far so good luck.

i´m still planning to build 1 myself(plexi tower), but so far it´s just planning, and christmas are coming, this freakin holiday steals all my cash.

13. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

damn thats nice

14. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

damn :eeek: great stuff with the plexi the cutout are so good , cant wait to see next update, keep it good work, this is going to be awesome clear case :rock:

15. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

So you had the picture on the monitor and put the plexi on it for drawing it? Looks killer so far man, definitely keep us updated on the progress, are you keeping a huge MP3 or movie server or something for all that space?

16. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Ive been engraving for about an hour now and this is what i came up with!! I added a few leds to make the finished product look a bit more evil :rock:

[​IMG]

Im jumping with joy over the result :D

Last edited: 20 Sep 2010
  17. metalgod

metalgod What's a Dremel?

oOo.. sweet!

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

:jawdrop:

Is the best way to describe it...

19. AcEmAsTr

AcEmAsTr Banned

may i ask how u engraved the plexi?

20. [WP@]WOLVERINE

I used a Dremel with a glass engraving kit to do the demon.

borumas-
    So you had the picture on the monitor and put the plexi on it for drawing it?

the answer to that is NO i looked at the picture on the screen and drew freehand on the plexi. it would have been quite impossible to hold the plexi up against the monitor since the skull is 40x50cm in size