1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project C3PO - My Linux jukebox

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by papeniglio, 8 Apr 2004.

1. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Thanks 4 the reply,

but it didn't work out for me, should be an good idea if you wrote an step by step guide for noobs like me:D. Could it be that lirc hasen't been installed the right way?:worried: Could you please write an little step by step guide so that i can configure lirc the way u did? I've already tried to follow an guide i've found on the net but this guide didn't work out for me:sigh:.

2. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Sorry Dj,
    I was very busy with my children this week-end. :baby:

I don't get what it's wrong with your LIRC installation.... The process is quite straight:

- configure the sources either with dialog interface or with configure script; just activate the serial driver and you should be ok.. If you run configure just give this command:

Code:
    ./configure --with-driver=serial
    - run make to compile the modules

- run make install to install the modules

- change the permissions of the /dev/lircd device

Code:
    chmod 666 /dev/lircd
    - add the modprobe line to your rc.mu script.

That's all and it works for me....

3. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

NP m8! Im very glad you help me out all of my linux probs!:D
    But i used the following command:
    Code:
    ./configure
    instead of:
    Code:
    ./configure --with-driver=serial
    So maybe that could be the problem!:eek:

But another question about your display: is it serial or is it an parralel connection? I hope that it isn't hard to setup such an display on linux because i've yust orderd one:D.

:dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

Last edited: 3 May 2004
  4. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

ALLRIGHT!:D:D:D Now i get the following message: lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver :D.
    Now i just need some time to configure lirc:sigh:
    But it works!
    Thanks 4 all the help papeniglio!

5. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Hey, you have stolen my CD Player :eyebrow: :hehe:

I got the same one and still use it :)

You've done a very nice mod :D

6. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Thanks SMOVE ! When you blow it, please send it to me... I'll make a new linux jukebox for you!!! :D

DJ,
    I'm happier than you when I find my hints are helping you... That's the spirit of linux and that's why I love it!

My LCD display is a parallel one and it's very easy to wire: you need just 11 wires, two trimmers, a DB25 connector and 5V.... Google can help you....

7. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

I just orderd an set so no soldering for me thanks!:D(i know it's much more fun to do it yourself but i'll build my IR-receiver myself).
    Thanks for all the patience m8! i'll think i'll need some help with setting the lcd stuff up and irmp3, but when i've issues i'll post them here:clap:
    Good luck!

8. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

papeniglio, how can i test if my receiver is working because i'm not sure. The driver (see previous post) works. But still setserial doesn't. Mode2 doesn't work for me neither because i use the pinnacle ir receiver (connected to com1).
    The following stuff i still have to do:

-Install the lcd program
    -Install irmp3
    -Setup network stuff

Now i'll try to setup my lcd software (the same u're using) hope it works!:worried:.

9. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Sure I will send it to you :hehe:

10. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

You don't need to give the setserial command (again.... :read: .... :D ); make sure you have all the permissions on /dev/lircd device (remember the chmod command???) and mode2 should work with the pinnacle remote too.

11. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

I login as root, the chmod command command works but has no effect.
    The only thing i get now at startup is:
    lirc_serial: auto-detected active high-receiver.
    After this mode2 doesn't work.
    The log says:
    lircd(pctv) ready
    accepted new client on /dev/lircd
    could not reset tty
    caught signal
    lircd(pctv) ready
    caught signal

I also received my lcd screen today (parralel same as yours :D) and i'm now trying to set it up hope it works!:worried:.
    It's really hard to setup your own mp3 pc with linux!:duh:
    I also tried to install irmp3, with the config command everything is fine but with the make command i get an error. Could you please explain how you did your install on irmp3 step by step with commands?

Sorry again for all the questions!:sigh: Me want's to learn but it's very hard!

Last edited: 5 May 2004
  12. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

allright i've connected the lcd etc. and installed LCDproc with all the needed stuff and all the drivers (also tried to only install the driver i needed) and i can't run LCDd i've did configured the LCDd.conf file and when i trie to run LCDd i get the following message:
    invalid driver: HD44780
    Could not load driver HD44780
    There is no output driver
    Critical error: man.c.238, abort

Why doesn't anything run the very first time i start it?:waah::waah:
    Any solutions papeniglio ;)?

13. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Dj,
    I think you're trying to do too many things at one time...... Linux is not so hard to manage if you plan what you have to do and then accomplish each step from the beginning to the end.

I suggest you to start from scratch planning what you need; if you are setting up your box just for MP3 playing, you must consider these points when compiling linux:

- apply the low latency patch if using a pre 2.6.x kernel;
    - enable sound support as a kernel module;
    - you want to use a remote control, so you have to build the serial port support into the kernel;
    - you want to use a parallel LCD, so you have to build the parallel port support into the kernel;

After these step, you can start building the additional modules and applications:

- ALSA driver
    - mpg123 or (better) mpg321
    - lirc
    - lcdproc

Stay on one point until you get it fully working, then move to the next one.

14. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

DJ,
    sorry but I was very busy in the afternoon and had to stay out of office all the time...... How's going over there?

15. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

WOW That is Umber cool

Man just had to tell you how cool this mod is. I hope you don't mind if I do the same thing. Of course I need a little bit beefier package.. Debian all the way. Nothing beats apt-get!

16. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

NP m8! but this is the progress (not much but...)
    I've re-read your text again and then :idea: i got it: i re-installed linux and configured the kernel but did NOT make the modules and did NOT install them ;) that what you meant the other day isn't it? But any way my system is able to boot off the disk now but i still have the same problem: i can't patch :sigh: he still asks for which file i want to patch. Maybe i put the stuff in the wrong dir or something:duh: I'll take a look at it now and try again.
    Else: i certainly need your help again :D (which i need any way to install the rest) I'll be Online the whole day so hope you'll logon;)!
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edit:
    Allright! :D :D :D I think the patch succeeded :D now i'll try to configure it and do the steps you told me;)!
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited: 7 May 2004
  17. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Progress i made till now:

Installed Latency patch
    Installed Alsa drivers
    Installed Mpg123

Need to do:

Install lcdproc
    Install lirc
    Install Ir-mp3
    Setup network stuff

I'll try to setup the network stuff now because i think i'll need some help setting op lirc and lcdproc. I'll keep u posted! :thumb:

18. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Allright man! It's my lucky day :D :D.

Just managed to run LCDproc and it's runnning now! :clap: :clap: :clap:
    Just a special thanks to: papeniglio!!!

To do:

Install lirc
    Install Ir-mp3
    Setup network stuff

(Need to modify the LCDproc stuff just like papeniglio did! (if it shuts down it must say: Good bye or something) could u give me a hand here?;))

19. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Good work Dj!! :clap:

Welcome to the linux world!!!! I hope you can hear your favourite music from your new Core box as soon as possible.

20. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Really is my lucky day: Lirc installed succesfully! (mmm think the patch did it's work or isn't it the patch? :confused:).
    Next mission ;):
    Irmp3!

Edit:
    Geuss ;): Irmp3 installed succesfull! Now i'll just have to configure it! I'll try to do that tomorrow! :clap:

MMM started to play around with C++ (me not very much experience with C++, i have some experience with VB) and extracted LCDproc en geuss what! Found it in this file: serverscreens.c ;) and i did some editing. Now have a look if it will work. (Geuss so papeniglio did the same!Thanks for the idea ;))

Last edited: 8 May 2004