1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: Chemical Overdose 17-08: In stores now ;)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by _ferry_, 6 May 2004.

1. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

question

guys, maybe you can help me a bit:

I want to give the case watercooling, because my current system is already watercooled (CPU and video).
    But i'm having some idea's/troubles about the radiator:

If im using a single 120mm radiator lika a evo120, black ice or something else, there will be no place left for a big reservoir in the casemod.

I could use an external radiator, what do you think about that idea?
    Then i have more place left for the eheim 1048, reservoir, and less noise i think.
    For the reservoir i could make something by myself or use the same things witch piloux used, i think making somithing by myself is better, because blackmesa is a inspiration for me, i dont want to clone it.
    Maybe a rust painted reservoir with some leaking parts would look nice.

For the radiator i could buy something like an evo240 or another 2x120mm radiator. I've got an radiator already, but the fins are very close, so there is always a lot of dust witch causes less airflow.

If i'm going to use an external, i could also include the pump and reservoir into it. And ofcourse building it in the same style. The good things about an external radiator is that i can put it next to my open window for good temperatures. And having more place in the case.
    The bad thing is that its more difficult while transporting it (wont be stolen :hehe: ) but i don't transport it very often.

So let me know what you think about it.

2. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

:idea:

Ok...This is gonna sound a bit crazy and I dont even know if its physically/technically possible.

Is it possible to have two small res's mounted in the rear legs of the beast? I dont know how large the res has to be, but it looks like those legs are what..about 1.5" square and 6" long ? Would that be enough if you made a couple of small rectangular res's out of acryllic ?

I dunno... :eyebrow:

3. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

yes that's good possible i already was thinking about that wen i started:
    With an reservoir in it you can see the water trought the mesh instead of the UV plexiglass :) But a little problem is that 2 reservoirs = 4 extra tubes, and there is already no much space.

Well thanks for bringing me back on the idea, i know it would look great, but now i had to find out if i'm able to build it. because it has some technical difficult points like how i'm going to mount the thinks fittings for the tube on the reservoir when it's already fitted in 1 of his feets.
    Or i can build an external reservoir, against the right side of the case.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2004
  4. wahoomcdaniel

wahoomcdaniel Minimodder

Watercooling Reservoir

It appears from your photos that you have one to two inches of space under the case. Could you fabricate a clear reservoir and attach it there?

Another idea would be to incorporate something that appears to be emptying into the top of the case through the torn opening that you created.

I'm enjoying the pics. Great job.

5. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

hardware update

So, i went to my hardware shop, and the sponsored me the radiator and CPU cooler :hip: :D

[​IMG]
    The evo 360 radiator :rock: (the evo 240 was out of stock, well give me a 360 then :D )
    [​IMG]
    Tha sweet zalman cpu block, keeps my cpu about 3c celcius lower than my previous one (selfmade)

[​IMG]
    I bought an nec 2500 dvd burner.

Still had to buy some hardware like 2 120mm papst fan's. And maybe a new motherboard, but that is more an upgrade/extra option.
    the other hardware:

epox 8kha+ kt266a mobo
    athlon xp 1700+ @ 2600+
    a-data 512MB ram
    maxtor diamondmax 9 80/8 HDD
    maxtor dx740 40/2 HDD
    leadtek gf4 ti4200 128MB @ 280/580mhz
    innovatec gf4 cooler

6. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

update

jeay, good weather, good modding day :D i've been busy almost the whole day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Quickly welded the perforated metal on the 2 feets.

[​IMG]
    After cheking the dimensions i welded it al good toghether and made them smooth. (the junction of the top/feets and the junction of the perforated metal and the feets. And the top/perforated metal.) Damn i'm happy with my self learned welding skills :hehe:

[​IMG]
    Here i mounted on the left a sheet of metal witch will hold the nice radiator.

[​IMG]
    Yust for staying in the theme. There will come up some more extra's (fan controlling and some "chemical" details.)

[​IMG]
    A pic from the radiator and normal case together.

[​IMG]
    And a very bright pic of the PC case, i've added some nails in the front and top, and made a hole for the DVD +/- R/RW drive. But that is'nt visible because the heavy flash of the digicam (normaly i use my mothers her digicam).

Well that's it for today. Between study'ing i will try to finish the radiator case this week, and i will receive the rust paint i've ordened.

7. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Update

[​IMG]
    I've started with 3x lm317 voltage regulators, 1 will be used for the 3 papst fans, the other two for 2 80mm papst fans witch are mounted in the case. There is also place for an 120mm fan. If i'm going to use that one i will connect the 2 80mm together on 1 lm317. And use the other one for the 120mm fan. ( but 3x papst 12mm fan, each 25€ = 75€, i don't have the money ATM. :sigh: )

[​IMG]
    Offcourse the voltage regulators need to be adjusted. Now comes out where the rusty cicles at the front are for

[​IMG]
    While being busy with the baybus i'm making the case, radiator case and drive bay rusty.

The idea was to get some m6 thread on the potentiometer (don't know if that's the right english word for it). But the metal was to hard, so that won't work.
    Plan B was to use the original mounting, drill an hole in it and push it over the potentiometer. but it didn't work, so it was time for plan C:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I've welded an m6 bolt on the edge of the potentiometer, push the red wheel on it and use an m6 nut to keep him on his place. burned my hands on the hot parts after welding it a few times. But finaly the knob is mounted :dremel:

[​IMG]
    After mounting it in the front panel. offcourse i will cut the m6 bolt on the right length.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The drive bay, with the cover of the DVD +/- RW drive beneath it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the left side of the case. The base of the case is has an anti-rust treathment ( 'verzonken' in dutch, babel fish says that should be 'sunk') So when adding the corrosion fluid there won't came the red/orange rust, but it turns out in different gray/dirty collors. I think it looks nice. And gives a good contrast.

Well, comments/suggestions about that are welcome :)

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Valve might come after you like they did pilouX :D

Still plan on making the side arms the resivor? :confused:

9. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

I love the use of the red valves for the knobs on your potentiometers. A good way to add a fan buss without breaking the "Industrial" look.

10. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

Hey, that's a great idea, looks really cool :hip:

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Another "Tech Noir" looking case! Excellent! :clap:

12. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Tnks :) well the red valves idea didn't came specially from piloux. We have a corner with a lot of meters, valves, pipes, and all kind of that stuff. I was just looking over there to find some nice stuff (i was hoping to find a flowmeter over there) and then the fanbus idea came up. I cant do all the things different, because we have both an industrial look. So there will always be things the same style. But i will try to.

Still have no idea for the reservoir. Maybe just keeping it simple with a small plexiglass box. But like always ther could came up an perfect idea (during classes or something boring like that :D )

13. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

i say leave it long, makes the whole thing look more patched up, like someone had to fix the valve but didn't have the right parts.

other than that, this whole thing looks awesome. and be careful, soldering iron burns can't hold a candle (no pun intended) to welding burns, that's some really hot stuff. by the way, are you torch or arc/mig welding this?

14. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

haha very clever!

15. The Bart Man

The Bart Man What's a Dremel?

Great mod man!!

Maybe A god idea is to give the plates a slap with the hammer! Nog deform them a lot but it will make it look more old. It will take the flat surface away.

Witch shop did you get to sponsor you??! Great that they do that these days!

16. benje

benje Minimodder

Just found this project log, and its definatly in the ranks of Piloux's case. You've done a very good job on this without actually duplicating his design. Well done!

I have a good idea for a water reservoir, which i'm pretty sure hasn't been done before. To fit in with your 'industrial' look, what about using an old small-size fire extinguisher. Empty it, then cut a window in the side of the extinguisher and fabricate a plexi window on it using the green plexi you already have. It would need to be a very tight fit, and you would need to use an O-ring or something to ensure it doesnt leak. But i think would look very good!. Also maybe you could mount it onto one of the sides by a couple of metal 'hooks' so that you can just lift it off.

17. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

I welded it with a MIG machine, learned by practicing and some help from my dad. Think i still going to cut that bolt off, but there will be another valve on the rad. case, i can build it like it has worn of/broken. That would look even better i think so. Just by welding the m6 bolt with an angle and not straight on the potentiometer.

Well, i've already used the hammer force, a little bit on the top of the radiator case, and on that small sheet on the right side where i engraved the name. The case himself is made of 1,5mm metal. thats a lot more hammer resistant :D But i can try.
    Goris sponsored me, and after finished the mod it will be shown fort about a month in the shop. A good promotion for both of us :) I'm very glad with that sponsoring too, otherwise i couldn't fit my current PC in this case.

Tnks for the compliment :hip:
    The idea of an fire extinguisher is not good..... but it's perfect :rock: :clap: Only problem is that they are made from metal, so it will get rusty by the water, And al parts may become rusty, but that thing shouldn't ;) But i could make a look-alike from PVC maybe. :idea:

With pvc i can make something like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Jun 2004
  18. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Maybe make a plexi liner for inside the extinguisher so that the water is actually surrounded 100% by plexi

19. benje

benje Minimodder

Or maybe there is some sort of liquid... stuff that you can pour in the exstinguisher, swish it around and it sets and seals the container 100% watertight?... what about like liquid latex or something? Wax maybe?
    Im sure there must be someone that knows more about the use of liquid latex and such hanging around here ;) :naughty:

20. Jewno

Jewno industrial designer

An amazing project! :jawdrop:

I'm going to make myself a rust-like project!

Props go to you! :clap: :clap: :clap: