1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project - Funys w00t Box

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by funy, 26 Aug 2002.

1. funy

funy What's a Dremel?

My case is almost ready for what i want it to be, all that remains is for me to pick up a VFD/LCD not sure which yet but will decide nearer the time when i can afford it. and a nice baybus for the cathodes. I also plan to cut a blowhole in top, 1x120 or 2x80 not sure which yet.

So far i have...

Spiral wrapped most cables, ( i think they need better tidying or just too many there)

Installed 2x green Cold Cathodes ( would have been 1 green one blue if maplin hadnt have been colourblind lol :D, but as it happens i quite like the all green look)

Stealthed both my CD Drives and my Floppy Drives.

Here are a few pics from what ive done so far.

[​IMG]
    Side on, lookin sweet :D

[​IMG]
    Stealthed CD 1

[​IMG]
    Stealthed CD 2

[​IMG]
    Stealthed Floppy 1
    [​IMG]
    Stealthed Floppy 2

More to follow... (as and when i have the cash) :D

P.S. Before you all comment on the stickers, ive gotten rid of them all, they now reside on the inside of the case, and are just obscured by the window, you can prolly see the bottoms of them, they are near the top.

Edit - Changed pic host for you // mashie

Last edited: 26 Aug 2002
  2. mashie

mashie The one and only

Pictures not working... could you please try another host?

3. funy

funy What's a Dremel?

hmmmm, ok give me 20 mins

4. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

Looks wicked keep modding

Last edited: 28 Aug 2002
  5. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

what ever happend to the saying, "if you have nothign nice to say, say nothing at all"? Geez.. everyone needs to start somewhere/mod a lian li at some point. I think it looks great dude! You should add a bolt to that stealthed floppy though. Go to home depot and pick up a black bolt or something like that (with an alen wrench or however you spell it, insert at the end for style) and use that as a handle to grab it. It would just make it a lot easier/convenient. OR, if you wanted to do something really cool, get some plexi, cut out a small circle and then rig it so that the circle is mounted on top of the hole as a handle. Paint the sides of the circle black to keep the light from shining out of the edges and mount an LED on the back! Then you have a handle that shines!

Its probably not a good idea, but its just an idea that popped into my head at the moment! Also, is that bay cover hinged? you could easily hinge it by drilling into the sides of where the insert goes in, and add very small bolts to either side, that way it hinges down!

6. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

oh yeah, for the blow hole definitely do the 1x120. less of an air pushed/noise ratio than an 80mm fan.. I went all out on fans for my current box because I never had a bunch of fans.. now i wish i hadn't.. or at least that i had gotten more expensive/quiet fans! My computer sounds like a 747 taking off, but that has to do with the delta 80x80mm 64cfm and Vantec Tornado 80x80mm 84cfm fans.. and then also i have uhmmmmm 5 thermaltake smart fans.. and then my power supply.. but my power supply is an enermax whisper PSU.. so thats not really a big noise maker.. its the 2 first fans that are the main culprits.

7. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

I think it looks good, I have always liked the look of a stealthed Lian Li. :D Now I just wish I could afford one. :(

8. synctec

synctec What's a Dremel?

I agree, its a nice case. heart pain if you blow a hole on that baby.

9. funy

funy What's a Dremel?

<-- snip -->

Let's keep this thread happy // mashie

i posted it here becuase i thought people might be interested. which they are,

...apart from you it seems.

10. funy

funy What's a Dremel?

also to add to the above, i have a job and i am very busy all day and dont have much time to work on much, also i dont have endless amounts of cash.

11. Stew

Stew Disgruntled Postal Worker

Very Nice! I too went into Maplins wanting a Blue Cathode and came out with a Green one, as It happens I now like them soo much better, they remind me of my favourite film : Chungking Express :dude:

great Job! :eek:

12. mashie

mashie The one and only

Ok those pics are really slow funy, could you please email them to mashie@bit-tech.net so I can host them at a full speed host.

And as a reminder for all, thread crapping is not welcome here and will simply be removed without any further warning.

13. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

i like it from reading just with the pics would work for me,
    but sounds good man keep up the modding

14. funy

funy What's a Dremel?

images mailed mashie (pm or email me when they are sorted and i'll correct the img tag urls), and thanks for the feedback guys.

Was just going to say that floppy drive is actually velcro'd which is how the plate sticks on.

15. funy

funy What's a Dremel?

what is the best way to cut it, i spoke to my dad, but he says you cant get 120mm holesaws. Also i might be tempted to try out the technique koolvin used on his vapochill conversion to mount the fan. ( for those who havent seen it, grill is on the inside and bolts dont go through top of case they are stuck to the top with aroldite)

How loud are 120 mins btw, my case is noisy enuff as it is lol :D

16. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

I find that is the best method for mounting almost anything, like my lcd.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just JB-WELDED those suckers on and it looks great and holds very strong IMO

17. mashie

mashie The one and only

Well you are not supposed to run 120mm fans at 12V but 7V and then they are nearly silent and still push plenty of air.

Got your pics sorted btw :)

18. funy

funy What's a Dremel?

wow that looks sweet, is that whole black area the lcd?, which model is it?. Im planning to get one to go in the top two drive bays of my lan li. my bay bus will sit in one of the floppy bays

19. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

I dont know what would be the best way to go about cutting a blow hole, ive never done one myself. I would probably do it with my dremel though.

20. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

I used a holesaw to cut out my blowhole, went real easy even with steel. And I am positive that I have seen 120mm ones. I could be wrong though. And I did the Koolvin style blowhole too, it looks good. Ah hah, I already have a pic uploaded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got to love Altoid tins, made this mod pretty easy, and it was the only thing I had lying around too :D:D

EDIT: posted a pic

Last edited: 28 Aug 2002