1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project idea but i need some help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by buzzby, 24 Feb 2004.

1. buzzby

buzzby What's a Dremel?

Right i have just bought a very nice MK2 golf GTI. Just one problem the sound system doesn't work.

So i was thinking

I know you can get the mini itx cases that fit in cars DIM space. I have also seen where i can get a 7" touch screen TFT. I am planning to build a system that probable runs on win98 using a winamp full screen skin to control the audio. I Also have a creative 40GB zen mp3 player that i am planing to link into the karputer through USB. The sound i will output to an car amp.

What i need help with is the radio. I still want a radio so i need one that connects to the computer (pref through USB), the radio also need to be able to be connected to a car antenna. I can do some electrical work. If poss i would like the radio to be controlled through winamp, i have seen a plugin that does do it.

So is there a radio that can do this and if not can i modify one?

Also would there be any other FREE/CHEAP software that might do the job better.

I would also in the future plan to upgrade the system to do DVD/DIVX, navigation and maybe review mirror.

All help very much appriecated

Buzz

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

3. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

not sure if it helps, but theres Some tv tuner cards that are also radio tuners, you could possibly throw one of those in, and they have some sort of antenna in jack

4. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

something like this you mean?

btw google + usb + radio works wonders! :thumb:

i would recommend picking one up from ebay, although i got mine from the bargain bin at my local mapins.

have a search through zaps media PC, iirc hes got one in there with some good software.

hope that helps,

RoB

5. buzzby

buzzby What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link. Does any one know how thi can be modified to use a car ariel.

Thanks

Buzz

6. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

i dont see why not, the dlink radio comes with an aerial, but its just connected with a coax plug. Im sure you could mod/adapt the car aerial to coax (if its not already).

RoB

7. Tezdread

Tezdread What's a Dremel?

I read in the micromart some time back = 10 things you can do with your old 486. Yep one of those was to create an in-car mp3 player. THis was running under DOS, some winamp type player, the lcd was connected to the parallel port and just using a number pad :hip:

I maybe able to locate the info, but like you say coorz it's on the shelf now!