1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: NEW Trashed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hal, 25 Sep 2005.

1. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

So, just thought you might like to see, how a modder with a broken hand cuts, paints and takes showers all without getting metal, paint, and water in his cast!
    Well, first it takes a bit of modding itself! You have to attach proper amounts of “Wal-mart” bags to cast and then secure and seal them with blue tape… just enough, and not too much to stick to your arm hair and hurt when coming off!
    [​IMG]

Next to add a bit of flair, you have to have a new modding “buddy”! so just get your trusty sharpie and hook it up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There! Modding buddy and fully functional, all-weather, all-modding, cast cover!

2. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

ROFL at that last picture that you uploaded today HAhahahahahaha.

Anyways, looks excellent. Be sure to smooth those cuts with a file like you were planning. What thickness is the plexi on the base?

3. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

1/4 of an inch thick. dont worry a lot of the edges have been filed, and a lot more to go.

4. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Well, back to modding. This time I had a bug in my ass, to do Imput devices. I took a new Logitech keyboard and Logitech MX 510. I wanted to match these to the color scheme of the trashcan case.

Soooooo, on to modding.
    [​IMG]
    took this all apart, had to take a ton of pictures so that I would be able to put it back together!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the donor

how I got off the logo without marring up the face of the mouse:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OFF! Yeah!

Sand everything down to get a better adhesion with the paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

After this, I have decided to try out some really cool paint: House of Kolor rattle cans! Wal-Mart sells them. I think they are very expensive for what they are, but I decided that I wanted to see how good they were and if they lived up to the name. [​IMG]

It’s a three part system and first is the silver base coat. Let me tell you something… holy crap! The silver looked like a sparkle trip! When I was spraying I got so much sparkles all over me I felt like a “My Pony” toy! Haha. Here is the first coat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after a few coats of this, you had the base for the translucent red candy color coat. It is very very thin paint. Don’t over apply this stuff. It will run all over the place. Super thin coats are only way to go. Here is the first coat:

[​IMG]
    looks more pink… I was almost scared that it would turn out too light and not really deep red… boy way I wrong!

Final coats and clear coats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WOW!!! That looks nice! I love it!

6. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Also, did a few things to do for the motherboard tray and tray plexi plate:
    [​IMG]
    painted

[​IMG]

Too an RCA connector plate and decided to place this on the plexi plate so that I can have some modular power throughout the system for various applications.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ceaned it all up after I sanded the corners down and painted it all nice.

That’s all for now, until next time! I will be showing the final mouse and keyboard along with the chassis in its pull-out glory!

7. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

haha, that's a nice idea. I like it. I also like the fact that you didn't just back out because you broke your hand. That makes this mod even more impressive. Something a lot of us wouldn't attempt if we had a 3rd hand.

- serial_

8. lbreevesii

lbreevesii What's a Dremel?

keep up the good work man. just thought i'd post up here as well as at wizd.

~Larry

9. semicycle

semicycle What's a Dremel?

Great job. I've seen the RCA power connectors many times ad I'd like to take a stab at it. Is there a guide on the forums somewhere?

10. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

thanks all! i saw some sort of guide on like casemodgod or something like that. i am not sure though. i hope to have the plexi hardware soon, so that i can start work on fabricating the chassis.

11. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Looking great man... It's a good idea... you have most of the form already there...

Just watchout at lan parties with drunk people trying to throw trash in there ;)

12. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Back in action. Well, I started again on the base and chassis. I should be done in a few more days. I have to still route some LEDs, drill some holes, and add the support rods. That’s about it for the chassis. I don’t think it will need too much more. Maybe a bit of polishing and sanding.

As you can see I made a sort of bracket out of plexi for the PSU to sit on. This allows the PSU to sit up from the fan and also not move around inside the case. this was my first time using #4 cement; tell you what its really cool. Great stuff, I don’t know how I got around not using it before! I was so excited that I forgot that I wanted to sand down the sides of the plexi blocks and make them more smooth and to get out the machining marks. It sucked, so in true form, I decided to flame polish in-place and get all I could without breaking it all off and starting over. Well, it came out nice. I am satisfied, it kind of gives it character! Haha.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

continued in next several posts!!!

13. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

I also finished up the cuts on the outside cowling. I have a few more cuts to do, but I can not do them until I finish the chassis to get the spacing and measurements correct. The flames came out nice. Tons of sanding, filing and grinding helped! I still want to hit a few tiny areas. But for the most part, the flames are done. Its so hard to take a picture of this stuff, so here is the best I could do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I test fit the mesh for the flames also. I think they look quite nice. Nicer than I had hoped for. Really slick. Keep in mind, this is just a test fit and later they will be fully molded into the cowling and bent to fit. As it is, I just used clamps to hold the mesh in. its kind of thick so you have to bend it kind of hard to get it in there. But for a few pics, it worked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Hal

Hal What's a Dremel?

Got the MOBO tray finished painted and set the plexi cover. Set it up on the plexi bottom with the modular power bus. Not too much more with that. Just have to wire up the plugs and attach the fan to the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND! Got the keyboard painted fully! Just a bit more polishing and touch ups, but for the most part done. Looks quite nice if I say so myself and will complement the case really nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My only issue that I am not fully decided on is how to mount the mesh to the inside of the stainless steel case cowling. Any ideas? Any kick ass epoxy that would stick to both? Anything that would not come off under pressure? Let me know if anyone has used something this tough. thanks

15. antoniohawk

antoniohawk What's a Dremel?

16. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

[​IMG]
    Best worklog pic evar!
    Awesome lookin case man. Those flame cutouts look so awesome. And good job on the peripheral painting, looks SHINEH!!! Keep it up man, I'll keep an eye on this one.

17. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

pro!!! cutting up those flame designs with one hand ...wraped in wall-mart bags lol lets see some other moders acompish that! lol nice job man after you painted it that keyboard remids me of the thermaltake x-aser keyboard if had before i got the mx1000 combo lol

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Lo Hal. looks like a 5 star job to me m8. :D

19. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

very nice what you have done so far :thumb:
    And damm the color of your mouse looks sweet :rock: I luv that!!!

20. matrixops

matrixops What's a Dremel?

Wow, nice trash can...er...mod. I really like the flame work so far. I was just thinking about your question for the mesh behind the flames. Instead of fastening it to the stainless, could you build brackets onto the inner frame to mount it to, where it sits against the outer cowling when the cowling is in place. Use some thin foam rubber weather stipping to keep the pieces from vibrating against each other.

I may be way off with my suggestion, but it looked like you were going to build a sub frame for holding the the pc components.

Or you could try jbweld. I used it on my case to mount heavy mesh to a curved surface. Although, I am not sure how it works for stainless.

MatrixOps

Last edited: 27 Oct 2005