1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: PrometheusCU - Update #54 - May 28 2010 - Video Teaser

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Langer, 18 Jul 2008.

1. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Sweet. I've been waiting for this.

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

PrometheusCU Returns

Greetings and Hello fellow modders and enthusiasts.

First I'd like to start off by stating that I'm very sorry for the long wait! I apologize for the hold-up.

Life threw a few curveballs my way, and the Digital Design program at Vancouver Film School is intense; I can count on 1-hand the number of times I was able to go out and have fun this year. The course demands the completion of 81post secondary credits in just 1 year (as a comparison, many of my friends attending University here in Canada are required to complete only about 20credits a year).

Now it's all done and over with, if you'd like some info on where it's taken me check out the about page on my, still developing, website. I don't have much of my latest work on there but the about page should do a good job of summing me up. http://jesselang.ca/about-me

LETS GET TO IT SHALL WE?

I am proud to present, for your viewing pleasure, update number 53 in project PrometheusCU
    ==================================================================

When we last left off I was rushing to get parts cut in the week before I had to pack-up and move west to Vancouver. At that time I moved into a Hotel for the first 3months, and had 0access to any kind of shop. For the most part, the project has been packed and boxed awaiting completion.

I took it upon myself to take another jab at modding full force back in January/Febuary - however my final project took precedent.

Last firday afternoon I grabbed my files, the rough-cut copper parts, and a comfy spot on the couch and spent the day filing.

Since friday, I've spent every day morning-night filing copper... my inexperience with the CNC router cutting process combined with the increased cutting speed I needed to get the parts done in time yielded very very shitty edges. Just about each piece has needed between 5-10hrs+ of filing to get perfect, and even then I'm only just finishing the first pass of filing on most parts.

(In trying to land a gig working at Google they gave me a NexusOne to play with - and being that it's the only camera I have at home at the moment: Pictures presented by Google :))

I'll start with some detail images of the edges left by the CNC router:
    It looks like a dog breakfast for now, but thankfully they all clean up REALLY nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I've placed the carbon behind the copper as it will be in the end:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A quick preview of where I'm at with the first pass of filing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's another mock-up with the carbon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm just about finished pass 1 on these parts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't leave you without some previews of how the case stands at the moment:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a head-on shot of the drive-bay area showing how the PICO and Pump are to be mounted:
    [​IMG]
    Note the clearance... of 0:
    [​IMG]
    The addition of the reservoirs required the pump be oriented differently, which of-course means cutting something:
    [​IMG]

Some of you who have been following this project for (how long has it been now?) may recall my former shop and working facilities: PHOTO GALLERY LINK.

Well gone are those days, I'd like to introduce to you my current workshop - from soldering to grinding, drilling to filing this is my home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my view of today's gloomy Vancouver weather - it may rain alot here but the sunny days make it more than worthwhile:
    [​IMG]

Not being one to shy away from a good pun; I want to share with you the location where PrometheusCU has been living for the past year.

This is the wall above the bed in my bedroom - this project has quite literally been looming over my head for the past 9months. It's the last thing I see at night (on the slow nights anyway ;)) and the first thing I see in the morning. I even had visions of being crushed by faulty Ikea shelving overweighted with copper, which I must admit would have been a pretty good irony.
    [​IMG]

Sorry again for making you all wait, but I'm pretty sure that most of you will agree with me when I say it was worth it. :)

That's all I have for you for now.
    Life is pretty lax for me now. I am doing a lot of consulting for usability and interaction design projects attempting to harness social media - most of which I do from home. In short: I have lots of time for modding now, and I plan on taking advantage of it.

The next update with be accompanied by a number of surprises - thanks for reading.
    Tune in soon.

*j

TonyL likes this.
  3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

yay hes back! now its time to re read the whole log to see how it all fits together :)

edit: that sofa looks soooo comfy!

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

sdhgqsdgfluikslhakdsa g this is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumb:

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The Langer's back with a bang!

I see some major kinking in the tubing - how do you plan to deal with that? wider loops or coils?

Also, :jawdrop: :rock:

6. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

It is Saturday here already, but I forgive you ;) Good luck with the rest of the build, I know I will be checking BT a little more frequent than I did the last months.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That is a lot of filling - I can feel your pain, man! Great stuff! ..and nice view from the window.. I wish I was there:)

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thank you.
    Now... about those fingerprints on the mosfet block...*trollface*
    Your current location looks rather pleasant too. Water, mountains, some greenery... If you had a private parking spot, It'd be perfect.

9. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

i love that Pico!!!!

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Not sure if it would be valid with your type of tubing, but there was talk a few months ago about forming tubing to tight radii without kinking.

use a spring just smaller than the inner diameter (but longer than the piece of tubing) to hold the tubing into the position you want (the curve), and dunk it into boiling water, then dunk it into ice water, repeat a few times and it should hold its shape without kinking.

11. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@Editor22 - Thanks man, sorry for the long read. Also, the couch is a very comfy couch indeed - I've unexpectedly woken up on it many times in the early morning.
    @talladega - Thank you sir
    @stonedsurd - Thanks a lot man, the solution will be coils
    @brinkz0r - Thanks man, looking forward to your visits, lol
    @phinix - Cheers, and as for the filing "mein digits!" My hands are quite sore... but I can't stop I got the bug again.
    @Cheapskate - Thanks man - I love your new cnc toy! GwassGreen is looking badass.
    @disturbed13 - I couldn't recommend them more.
    @Volund- Thank you sir. That's really great info, however here I'll be using sleeved coils.

On the topic of kinky tubes:
    This is a quick mock-up, and the tubing will sport stainless steel anti kink coils and a layer of nylon multifilament sleeving over top. In the end that will not be an issue.

Here are some very early mock-ups showing a rough result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*j

12. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

What a great way to catch us up to speed man! Good to see you back at it!

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

How did I miss this build?

Copper + carbon fiber = best thing since sliced bread

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]
    When cutting copper on the CNC, use a mild lubricant like metholated spirits or kerosene. Spray it on whilst cutting and you won't need to do any filing of any sort next time.

15. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

what? Did I miss something? Langers back?

16. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

nice work on the copper and great mod too. :thumb:

17. Azayles

Azayles Minimodder

Jesse's made THE most awsum comeback of all time :D
    Welcome back, old friend!

18. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

That case is impressive. I love all the copper touch in the overall black case.

19. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Preview of coming attractions:

PrometheusCU Video Teaser

A logo bumper created by a friend of mine - www.joshuamichie.com - in anticipation of the completion of project PrometheusCU

20. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Sweet! The Langer is back. You have to love apartment and condo modding. My condo in Seattle is bigger but I never see it much. Glad to see you back Jesse.:clap:

john