1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Tiny

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Floyd, 28 Feb 2013.

1. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Sorry but the whole case is apart right now. Ill put it all back together when i get a new psu installed

2. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Unlucky pal, all these things are sent to try us! I'm sure by the time you get a new PSU and get it all back together it will be worth the wait, perhaps you might feel inclined to do a few extra bits you might think of too.

3. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Yea I know, its just frustrating spending all that time and having the old PSU give it up just after it was put together.
    The issue now is that the Rosewill PSU was 140mm deep not 160mm like the "standard" so I have to see if I can move the HDD and stick a 160mm deep one in there. If not then im waiting for moola for a small form factor PSU.

4. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Could you fix the old psu?

5. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

If you weren't so far away, I would donate a 450W PSU I have laying around :(

This build is looking good by the way :)

6. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Well I still have to take the old PSU completely apart to see what happened. I wanted to wait a few days for the caps to discharge before I get into the whole thing. Just looking at the top side its all good. No exposed wires and no burn marks.

I can hook it up to the mobo and get a standby light but get nothing when I hit the power button. Same thing goes for a straight jumper to the PS-ON on the 24 pin.
    Id like to get this PSU going again but if I cant I found an old OCZ 700 watt in my backup system. The only issue with that is that its 160mm tall (20mm taller) so then the HDD would have to move somewhere else.

7. Inches

Inches What's a Dremel?

Silently watched this thread the whole way thru.. sucks about the PSU. I've got a Mushkin PSU that was rock solid for a long long time then just gave up the ghost on me. Does mostly the same thing as your, except my fan will spin up when I jumper it. I've had mine apart and couldn't find anything that looked wrong. Good luck with getting it back running!!

Otherwise, pretty slick little build. I got one similarly planned for a homemade "Steam Box"

8. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Thanks!
    I checked out the whole PSU last night and I get no output from the PSU except from the purple 5VSB wire. Again no visible signs of damage on the underside or top.
    Since putting in a "standard" 160mm deep PSU would move the HDD im going to save a little and wait till I can get a 140mm deep unit and then mod that one.
    Ive been looking at some Silverstone PSUs that are 140mm and they only have one large fan so it would be quieter. With those smaller 80mm fans it was the loudest thing in the case.

9. Asouter

Asouter --------

Hope you get the PSU sorted, Really nice build ...Quality

10. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

***... As if this cant get any worse...
    Just swapped the bad PSU with a known good one and the hardware wont start up.
    I get the standby light on the mobo but nothing when the power jumpers are shorted.
    I have another mobo that I can test the GPU and CPU and my wifes computer I can test the RAM.

My issue is that if its just the mobo thats dead then where the heck am I going to find another nice 775/DDR2 mobo to use my current hardware!

On a good note my other spare PSU that works is actually 140mm so thats "fixed" now to sort this mobo issue!!!

Good lord give me strength that I dont chuck this PC in the front yard!
    I just want hardware that works, is that so much to ask!

11. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Oh and whats more of an issue is that if I do somehow find an old mobo that will work, the backplane will be completely different so ill have to make a whole new bottom/front/top piece!
    Wow this is just starting to snowball from one little PSU going out.

12. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

GPU is dead also...
    CPU and ram are fine.

13. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Mate it's not going well, at least the case it still awesome :)

14. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Yea, the only issue there is that it was made specifically for that hardware. If I want to use new hardware im going to have to make a whole new case.

Consider this project closed guys because I will not be buying any new hardware. This build was on a whim looking at old hardware sitting on the shelf with no case.

*Silver lining* Atleast my shelf doesnt have parts sitting on it anymore *Silver lining*:hehe:

15. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

At the very least you can consider it a reasonable proof of concept and a good prototyping/design learning experience :) Still impressive though how tight you got everything.

16. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Thank you. Agreed it was a nice learning piece, and when I do another scratch build im going to take that into consideration.

17. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

Its a shame. I really wanted to see this to completion. Perhaps it could take on new form at design stage take a range of psu sizes...IDK, just sad

18. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Oh trust me I know.
    I was.... Just a little upset and angry when I found out the mobo and gpu died along with the psu.:wallbash:
    Oh well.

19. Jezzafool

Jezzafool What's a Dremel?

I'm really sorry to hear that. I was loving the design of this.:sigh::waah::sigh:

20. Ocelot

Ocelot Minimodder

Hey, sorry to hear about your hardware failure. I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago.

To me it looks like there is plenty of hardware that would fit in that case. But I don't know the exact dimensions of course. Anyway it would be a shame if it wouldn't get used!