1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Prysm: Laser displays are the future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2010.

1. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I have never seen an LCD (including LED backlit) screen able to display the high contrast levels of a good CRT or a good phosphor based Plasma TV, such as a Pioneer or Panasonic PDP.

Even the new Samsung LED backlit screens don't produce true blacks. They even contain some blue tinge in large black areas of the screen. My Samsung doesn't compete with my older Plasma screens.

It would be very interesting to see how this Laser technology compares in terms of contrast levels and deep true black levels of Plasma.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Got pretty much, if not completely, killed due to a dispute over IP between the alleged IP holder (some company I can't even remember) and the Toshiba Canon joint venture. Something about the IP only having been licensed to Canon. As far as I can recall it ended with Toshiba selling its stake in the JV to Canon. Problem is, Canon has about zero knowhow when it comes to producing displays.

3. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I just pray for the day that something other than plasma comes out that has the fast speed and great color and contrast that competes with crt without the burn in. Then finally I can have new computer monitors that are easier to move...

4. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

'Screen burn' shouldn't be any problem on modern plasmas.

I have been doing general PC work and gaming on plasma screens for years and never experienced any permanent burn in of images.

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/myths/screen-burn/

5. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Will I be able to point it at over flying aircraft?

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Laser TV tech has been around for a while so theres nothing new about this. Still the more companies working on it the better for the consumer so this is still good.

7. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I used to work for a company that made laser barcode printers that used moving mirrors. They were loud as hell! Imagine the sond of an old dot matrix printer, but more piercing.

I think I'll stick with my nice, quiet solid state display devices thank you.

8. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

It's funny how one misinformed comment about mirrors can derrail the whole thread.

The mirrors they are referring to if I'm not mistaken are the same ones that are used in rear projection tv's. The so called mirrors on a chip.
    go stand next to a modern rear projection tv and see if you can "hear" the mirrors OR see if they a bad lifespan (they don't) the technology is mature and useable.

The only undesirable is the fact that they need calibration from time to time.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

DLP. I've posted about it several times, people just don't read threads like they used to back in the day :p The mirrors are tiny. Trust me, you cannot hear them move over the noise of the cooling fan.

I've never known a DLP need recalibrating before. The only problem I've ever come across with DLPs is the colour wheel that they use - among some people (me included), they cause a "rainbow effect" where you see brief flashes of colour across the screen, especially when you move your head or look at the edges of the screen from the corner of your eyes. It's so annoying to me that I can't use DLP systems for home cinema.

The problem is solved when using 3-chip systems or (in this case) separate laser beams.

Tags: Add Tags