1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick question about installing lga 775 cpu

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by fohkus, 11 Dec 2006.

1. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

Hey guys i finally made the jump to get a new system. Ive been using the socket 478 for awhile so the 775 is still new to me. I just have a quick question regarding the installation of the cpu. Basically when I put the cpu in and lock it w/ the mobo locking, i can literally hear it compressing down onto the pins. I dunno if this is supposed to be normal or not but it kind of scares me. Is it supposed to go down really easily? When I remove the cpu i cant really tell if the pins are bent or not, they shouldnt be. Im sure the cpu is oriented the right way because it only fits in 1 position. Just wanted to make sure, thanks.

2. Rich T

Rich T What's a Dremel?

Its fine as long as youve got the cpu orientated the right way round, matching the notch in the cpu to a notch on the socket.

3. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Yep. Terrified me the first time I installed one, but as long as it's in the right way it pretty much works. If you think that's bad, though, wait till you install the stock cooler on one. Those things are nearly unbelievable.

4. Rich T

Rich T What's a Dremel?

Haha yeah crazybob makes a good point, the stock Intel heatsinks are monsters !!!

They bend the board to insane angles, make sure you here the lug click into place or you wil have one toasty cpu

5. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Actually I think mayb eonly older cores use a anti overheat that supe runderclocks the cpu when if has no sink on. but ya any odd noise or feeling or look with such expensive stuff is heart wrenching

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I actually had to read the instructions to find out how to put the hsf on when I put my first 775 board together. I couldn't tell which way round the black release lugs were meant to be :)

I found that the easiest way of installing the Intel hsf inside a case is, with the port headers facing left, jam your finger between the hsf and PSU just above it and click the top-left post in first. Then do the adjacent one, with the other two clicking in relatively easy.

Wait until you try and get a Ninja Scythe hsf in. Be ready with plenty of bandages and make sure no-one's in earshot :)

7. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

i didnt really have any problems installing the stock heatsink, i just pushed the pins down into the hole and it was secure. However, i had a HUUUUUUUUUGE problem removing the heatsink.. i mean like wtf! For one side, i simply pulled on the push tabs and the pins came out, however on the other side, no matter how hard i tugged on the tab the bottom pins would not release! Is there a trick to doing this? I ended up getting pliers and basically chopped off the pins on the back of the mobo to loosen it up. I didn't care much for the heatsink since i was going aftermarket anyways but seriously, that really made me mad.. haha

8. kazama

kazama What's a Dremel?

i have a probs on installing the heat sink on my board. it make my cpu temp raised high. but my board not bend so much. My second attempt installing the heatsink for my friend pc is terrible, the board bend lot.

9. Rich T

Rich T What's a Dremel?

fohkus, To remove the stock Intel hsf you just have to put a flat head screwdriver into the groove on top of each of the four pins and twist it anti clockwise (iirc) then the pins just pull out easily lol :D

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I've got a 775 board/proc and when I took of the HSF I thought I was gonna break it, so try to remove it as little as possible. Getting it one was easy.. you think you've got it bad try AMD's AM2 socket!

11. fohkus

fohkus What's a Dremel?

lol i didnt know you were supposed to turn it? I tried using a flathead screwdriver and tried pushing the pins back in towards the HSF and i was using so much force that well.. you guessed it.. my screwdriver slipped and i scratched the back of my mobo!!!! :(