1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer gives Project Fiona the green light

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Oct 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

This looks cool.

Also the size of the damn thing if you're doing 5 hour gaming sessions you'll end up with shoulders like Arnie holding it up.

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

11,000 likes roughly = 8 purchases

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It may launch with the low-end mobile Core i7; although honestly if it's gaming focussed (which it obviously is) they'd probably be better going with a dual-core or non-HT quad anyway. Will be interesting to see whether they try to go with Intel integrated or a discrete solution... and what res the screen will be so they don't need to try jamming a GTX680M in the thing. ;)

I'm not the greatest fan of Razer kit, but I can respect them for trying new things. :thumb:

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

If they're smart they'll start with the controller aspect of it first. Make it bluetooth compatible and allow any tablet to be 'docked' with it. There's loads of iPad games that already support bluetooth controllers, even dual stick analogue.

Get the controller polished, put it in the hands of gamers and see if it's a nice way to play.

Produce a streaming app to allow your PC games to be played 'to a fashion' wirelessly on your iPad / Android and again you get a few more sales by people who don't mind compression artefacts and lag.

Plenty of money to be made even if Razor don't go all-in and build a slightly underpowered i7 gaming tablet with dreadful battery life (Which is the best they could hope for)

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Yeah the concept is flawed IMO. If they could produce a controller for android tablets would make a lot more sense but would still likely be crap.

TBH mobile gaming just hasnt worked since the gameboy really, stuff like this seems cool and i always imagine myself using it on the train etc but in reality its too expensive to take out of the house and flash around on public transport and too uncomfortable to use at home so it ends up in the draw next to the M11x

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Does it need to be an i7? Surely an i5 would be more optimal.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I know what you mean about not wanting to take mobile gaming outside... where I used to live it was like an open invitation to get mugged. :duh:

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

You mean like this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57507775-1/wikipad-gaming-tablet-available-october-31-for-$499/

or

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/archos-gamepad-a-7-android-tablet-with-d-pad-analog-sticks/

or

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/12/26/jxd.gets.into.tablet.and.gaming.crossover/

It may not 'work' for you, but there's more people playing mobile games than ever and it's sure making a lot of money for a lot of people.

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Yep on smart phones, which are devices people carry around anyway which is why it is doing so well.

And yes a know these products exist, but from what I can tell they're hardly smashing any retail records. I've yet to see one in the wild, I havent even seen anyone using a PSvita yet and I live in a big city and commute to work everyday.

I was just expressing an opinion and giving examples of products I own which I have not ended up using. I made that clear. Wind your neck in.

11. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

So basically a tablet with a pair of sony navigation controllers tagged on to the sides....nice clean design.

Now if they make it a windows 8 tablet powered by an AMD apu so that it can use the blue stack emulation that Amd have just announced to run android apps as well as windows stuff...then this thing could have a huge catalog of games and may well really fly.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2012
  12. rollo

rollo Modder

Agree with crompers tbh things are just way to expensive to be using in the open on public transport. Carrying around an Ipad to play games on is a statement that says i want to be mugged. smartphones are different as they are so small in comparison.

Id guess most peoples ipads have never left there homes.

13. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Well some people buy handhelds and dont bring them outside their house. I did that with my GB, GBA, and PSP. I rarely play any of the games on my Droid X2 outside of my home.

14. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

I like the concept and the look is pretty cool.

Im not gonna liek the price tag or the quality.

Comercial launch a mistake imo