1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a Soldering Iron...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MadGinga, 2 May 2019.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Hi All,

Looking to get a soldering iron, is there anything I should look out for (pros/cons) or any particular iron?

Cheers
    MadGinga

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To do what with?

'cause my go-to brand for a bog-standard iron is Antex. I use at 15w, 25w, and I've yet to come across anything I can't do easily that isn't super fine stuff like HDMI connectors or USB type-c stuff.

But I know Hakko stations are super popular (and super expensive) but often come with way more features than you might need.

I'm also somewhat interested in what people suggest with regards to stations that have a hot air function as well.. I've been looking at a Yihua 825 d++, but it's cheap and it makes me think it'll be bum.

3. MadGinga

sorry, forgot the "why" :(

just general repairs and (potentially) mech keyboard kits... so nothing too fine?

4. liratheal

Ah!

I successfully replaced Cherry blacks with the 25w Antex if that helps. In fact, most of my electronics repairs have been done with the 25 recently. The Dell 3008 power thing was a little challenging with the 25, could have done with something a little bigger, but for the most part it hasn't let me down. I think Antex call it the XS25 or something.

Probably would have managed with the smaller one on most, but I like the 25 more because it's physically bigger and fits in my hand better.

5. MadGinga

Cool. Bigger is better (ooh-err); I am the only person I know who never had a problem with original Xbox controllers...

liratheal likes this.
  6. MadGinga

This the one?

EDIT: Also, any suggestions on a desolder sucker thingy?

7. liratheal

I don't have the stand, but yeah, that's the beastie.

I just use some generic plunger thing. I think I got it from Maplin. Tbh, I think desoldering needs some trial and error. I tried the desoldering wick and didn't get along with it, but I did the plunger thing, some people are the reverse.

MadGinga likes this.
  8. MadGinga

Is there anything else required for general soldering/desoldering that I need to consider?

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I changed from a solo iron to a soldering station and wouldn't go back.

Bought mine from maplins who obviously aren't in business anymore but I think this is a rebranded version of mine (looks the same anyway).

Other things to consider are, decent solder wick (don't buy cheap stuff like did its next to useless), a magnifying headset if you are going to be working on really small stuff and possibly a tip cleaner

adidan likes this.
  10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Maybe a soldering clamp setup, similar to this.

There are probably way better quality options available, that was the first I found.

11. MadGinga

What advantage does a "station" have over a simple plug in jobby like the Antex? other than the ability to turn it off without unplugging it (i presume)?

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Temperature control and a digital temp display, I think they tend to heat up a lot quicker as well.

Just gives you more control.

13. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

If you don't want full soldering station - get yourself TS80, for desoldering THT components ideally you'll want desoldering station (the one where iron itself can suck out the solder - like this), for SMDs - you'll need hot air station.
    Also, stay away from lead-free crap.

14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I picked up a Lidl soldering station for around £20. For general stuff I can’t fault it.

Lead solder Cheesecake.

15. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

I like my Aoyue 2930, its 70W but you are going to pay £90 for it. I find it to be much better than entry level big brands like Weller which will set you back about twice as much for less watts.
    I needed the power so I can do quite hefty wiring and the like if needed, but its also great at the finer stuff with the temperature control.

16. hayate89

hayate89 What's a Dremel?

one little station for 50/60 € is good for start