1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a soundcard for a decent 5.1 headset setup :)

Discussion in 'CCL Computers' started by Mattmc91, 1 Mar 2011.

1. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Any recommendations by the CCL team?

2. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

3. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Depends on your budget, but the X-Fi Titanium is a sound choice!

Whats the headset your running and the budget?

4. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Cheap as possible, but I've read about a lot of problems with the creative cards?

Headset is the roccat Kave. Actual 5.1 support <3 the bass is immense with onboard, but that crackles and pops :(

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

hummmm your can get a Audigy 2 or a X-Fi Extreme PCI. What was good Back in the day is still good now, your ears hasnt change. I guess you can find one of them for around hummmm 30 Kwid

6. Tom @ CCL

Creative tend to have problems with drivers around the release of a new OS recently, be careful with some of the older Audigy cards as they don't get on with Vista or 7 terribly well.

Basic functionality (think of it as medium-grade onboard audio like the better realtek chips) - http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...ry_id=130&manufacturer_id=0&tid=30sb107100000

Step up over onboard audio - http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...ry_id=130&manufacturer_id=0&tid=30sb057000000

As far as a normal person needs to go - http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...ry_id=130&manufacturer_id=0&tid=30sb104200000

or

http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...d=130&manufacturer_id=0&tid=90-yaa0f0-0uan00z

There are higher end cards available that offer a wealth of extra features that some may find useful, they also provide a boost in audio clarity however you do need high quality speakers and source to make the best of them.

I run onboard audio through my hi-fi separates as the onboard audio on my X58 based motherboard matches my ageing Audio 2 ZS card that cost a pretty penny a few years back.

(Just in case the boss looks please buy THIS! :D)

7. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Will I recognize the difference between the Xonar DG 5.1 and the DS 7.1? I'm on a fairly tight budget as I said (£30 or so max) but I can push it a little more if needs be.

this is only to cover the fact that the headphone (green) is a bit crackly on my mobo.

8. Tom @ CCL

Honestly if your just gaming you will be fine with the cheaper card.

There are standards to support etc but if your budget is £30 really not worth going over as you'll be perfectly happy with the cheaper card. :)

9. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I'd figured as much ^^ I'll check the balance of the bank and pop an order in tomorrow.

10. c.ruel

c.ruel What's a Dremel?

I have a xonar DG it is awesome, definately get that one if you are on a tight budget. The onboard amp is great and it is a PROPER upgrade from onboard don't let the low price put you off.