1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Request for assistance with my University project(computer cluster)

Discussion in 'General' started by bowmore, 17 Apr 2009.

1. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I'm currently in the process of creating a small computer cluster for my university project.

I'm looking for CPU and RAM intensive material such as graphics to render and simulations to run on the cluster

so that I can perform several tests on performances, this will allow me to get the necessary data for my project.

I was hoping someone here would be able to help me out or point me in the right direction as to where to attain something like this.

If you have any help you could offer it would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Bowmore
    (ps hope this is in the right section):D

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

folding@home?

3. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

I will be using folding@home as well as seti@home but i'm looking more for a rendering idea.
    thanks for your reply though :D

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Go to the biosciences dept. or something - they might have something.

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

How about something like the large sketch up renderings in our contest. Most eveyone complains of how intensive they are.

john

6. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

Ramble - thanks for that idea, i just emailed the head professor of biosciences at the university of kent.

jhanlon303 - thats a brilliant sugestion, i completly forgot about sketch-up! i have searched the forums and only found one website http://scc.jezmckean.com/home. would you be able to point me to the thread?

thanks again for your help guys

7. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

He means this one: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=162981

I'm not sure if that's a good idea though. First, Kerkythea isn't the most advanced software in terms of network rendering. No surprise, as the feature only recently has been included. More important though is that these mods use a lot of metal, which can only be done using the MLT raytracing method. And there still is no network render option for MLT I'm afraid. :(

Would have been nice though! Awesome idea!

8. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

thanks for that, i had to go research to find out what you was talking about :D . hmmm so if i was to steer clear from metals would it work? say glass type rendering or marbles. i assume you are good at rendering since you seem to know about it, can you give me any other programs apart from Kerkythea i could look into?

thanks again

9. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

I believe you can network render with 3dStudioMax... my housemate did it last year.

RwD

10. bowmore

bowmore What's a Dremel?

added to my investigation list, thank you :)

11. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Nope, I'm not good, not at all, in fact I suck. :hehe: But I like free software, and played around with it. The difference is quite harsh really, rendering metal with "normal" (biased) raytracing in Kerkythea makes the metal look like a jpg saved with way to heavy compression.

And I was assuming that you would want to use free software = neither Sketchup Pro nor a commercial renderer. Never used it, but supposedly VRay will give the best results. You'll need the software itself and a plugin for Sketchup though, both being quite expensive.

12. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

But it's ****ing expensive, even the student version.