1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Researchers analyse players' names for antisocial cues

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

So, what does it say about me that one of my old WoW characters was called Cupidstunt? Would the researchers guess that I am old enough to remember watching The Kenny Everett Television Show, or am I just anti-social?

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Really, swear words?

My name is 1captaincrapbag, the number doesn't relate to my date of birth, rather that I couldn't actually use my bf3 name as the system wouldn't let me unless I added a number.

As for the swear word, my name comes from the TV series friends and is meant to be humourous. I do love to troll idiots in game though :).

God i love surveys that really prove absolutely nothing.

4. DC74

DC74 Doh!

And people at the university are being paid tons just to do this research. What's wrong are there not enough things that are a greater benefit to humanity left to research? some researchers clearly have too little ambition.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It's a proof of concept study that shows what's possible with this dataset. It also shows that you can identify people who are potentially at a higher risk of anti-social behaviors young and from information that they might not give honestly on, say, a personality survey.

This research could help lead to a screening tool for messed up kids before they land in court the first time, or alternatively by the game makers to black hole IPs when people try to register with these names, thereby improving the quality of the population!

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

"There's also a considerable number of gamers that were born in 1969."

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

It's ok as long as "it's all done in the best possible taste" :D