1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung EcoGreen F2 1.5TB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 5 Oct 2009.

1. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

w00t! My F3 comes tomorrow. Along with 4gb of PC8500.

That said, the F2 would certainly suit a NAS or HTPC

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Do you people even read the earlier posts before you write your own?

Anyways, poor performance, low price >> no buy. In these days with a market overflowing of alternatives they have to do better to impress me.

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I will not be buying this drive, it fails.

4. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Great - hope that's not Saturday :naughty:

Seems to be a lot of people looking to buy new drives, lets not create a shortage of F3's

I am sure the F2's have their uses, but not in my box

5. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

You say 15w per drive is not significant. You are wrong! Data centers these days are not constrained by floor space, or even by how much heat they can deal with, it's power they are limited by. Even a 1% saving on power consumption is big when you scale it up.

To totally "dis" the entire eco aspect of drives like this is selling everyone short. Yes companies will try and make the most of any "green" claims, but hey that's because they know it's a big deal and it's one of the main thing that matters.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not 15W per drive it's ~3W.

And data centres do not run consumer drives like this either. It's marketed at consumers not companies.

To put it in perspective, 3W is the difference between having an extra case fan or not. It's the difference between manufacturing tolerances of the SAME POWER SUPPLY and is much less than running different PSUs or running 110V versus 230V.

7. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

litte late mate i have two F3s hehe besure to test diffrent controllers with them, some controllers can be slow :clap:
    and what about testing noise level? the F2 EcoGreen's should be alot i mean alot quieter than F1 and F3s
    and the EcoGreen is perfect for external/htpc/server usage where speed nor absolute performace is needed

Last edited: 5 Oct 2009
  8. Boon

Boon What's a Dremel?

Interestingly I've actually just grabbed a number of these drives to upgrade my home server. Pretty much my primary concern was noise and heat. I think your summing up and score is fair. I got these drives because of seemingly relatively good reliability compared to some of the other 1.5 drives and cost. Also compatibility with my RAID card was a high priority.

I'm hoping once set up in RAID performance should be good enough for my uses. I certainly would not have this drive as a primary. I'm actually going to be replacing some 7200.11 drives so performance should hopefully not be that much different.

Tags: Add Tags